Existing Member?

The World Is My Oyster

We're off!

CANADA | Friday, 3 September 2010 | Views [568]

So I'm off again on another journey.  This time a near cross continental road trip from Toronto to Vancouver Island.  My sister Kaitie and I will be traveling over 4400km through the United States to finally reach BC where we will end our adventures in Kelowna, where I will hang my hat for the next few months. 

Ruby (my mazda 3) is packed to the brim with my personal possessions but this task was not easy. Our journey began with a small but mighty test of mine and Dad's patience when it took us over 4 hours to install the roof rack on Ruby.  Eventually, defeated I took the car over to the a bike shop where the guy installed it in less than 10 minutes! For the price of a new bike lock, to pay him for his "time", we were finally up and running!  After a late start at 4pm i had already learned three important lessons.  ALWAYS read instructions, don't leave installations until the last minute and be kind to your father when it comes to working on black assault on a 30plus degree day!


So we were off!  Flying down the highway, against crazy winds and the bike held up!  A great test to our many hours of effort.  Phew!  Our emotions were quickly soothed when we drove through Muskoka, Ontario's famous cottage country and laughed at the Inukshuks (Native rock sculptures) dressed as construction men!?  We stopped for dinner in unmentionable Sudbury at Tim Horton's for chilli and tea.  A quick left and we were  heading west on top of the North Channel of Lake Michigan.  We spent the final hours of the day driving into the most amazing sunset of orange and red, twinkling atop the trees. Alas, the Bovarian Inn.  A quirky motel in Bruce Mines, the site of the first successful copper mine in Canada.  A quick take-away dinner from a dodgy diner and a shower and it didn't take us long to both be asleep. Day one complete!

Day 2 started with the most beautiful clear skies and sun reflecting off the the North Channel.  I met the cutest couple from Florida while loading up the car at the Motel.  She gave us a pot of coffee she had brewed and didn't want to waste!  I stood at their door and chatted about their travels while her husband stood behind her asking if she had found out what day it was yet! As soon as I filled him in that it was Thursday he asked his wife if standing at the door talking was what she meant by getting off to an early start! lol

Reaching Sault Ste Marie we pushed on to the USA boarder. Ruby got her first x-ray here and passed with flying colors!  Yeha we entered the states with no hitches!  Driving along hwy 28 we stopped for Kaitie's first lesson at driving manual.  She did very well, learning quickly and I'm sure by the end of our trip she will be a star!  Still some confidence to build i got back in the driver's seat and drove us clear through Michigan to Wisconsin.  Wisconsin was adored by both Kaitie and I especially Ashland where in the late 19th century millions of tons of timber and iron ore crossed its huge docks.  Many of the homes there are made of timer that are situated on the lake making it a very cozy and beautiful place.

Pushing on we entered Minnesota. With very impressive navigating by Kaite we got through Duluth and found ourselves starving and stopping to eat at Country Kitchen.  I think the fatigue had gotten to us at this point as we laughed at our fellow patrons.  A small, but heavy boy eating take-away butter next to his sister who was drinking half and half while their mother was on her iphone.  Finally the kids stopped when their dinner of cheese sticks, fries, and pizza arrived!  Through our tears of laughter from this scene we noticed the old man behind us showing off his hat that read "Boondocks USA".  Thank goodness we got a workout on our abs from laughing cause when our "homestyle" meat loaf arrived and turned out to be unidentifiable meat and instant mash and gravy, neither of us really ate.  A great diet for our a**s that we have been sitting on for the last 10 hours. 

Well now we are in our cozy hotel after a well deserved hot tub and swim thinking of the other funny things today like the giant totem poll, animal pelts and doggy paw earings. I can't wait to see what happens tomorrow!

Total distance 900km 1.5 days

Talyho!

Kaitie and Jen

About zenjen


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.