Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Cyclone Force

TUVALU | Monday, 29 January 2024 | Views [71]

Wind and rain were the story of the day after the scorching heat yesterday. There’s a saying in Tuvalu that it’s always hot on Sunday due to the “sun” and that it’s a day of resting and worshipping the Lord. Tuvalu is one of those countries where you may not come home with a different story every day but it’s by no means boring. Talking to people, eating, going for a swim, a casual stroll, hanging out on the runway, taking photos, sending postcards, and soaking up the atmosphere are all things to be done here. I haven’t been bored for even a minute, and this is a perfect place to unwind a bit and have a midday rest. It almost seemed like a cyclone was coming through Uashioa told me that roofs have been blown off homes as many of them are made of cheap tin. Due to Saturday’s flight being cancelled there were two flights today. I specifically allowed a few days’ turnaround time between getting back to Fiji and going to Nauru as there’s the very real possibility of being stuck here for a couple extra days, and that’s on top of the fact that I must get back to Nadi for my Nauru flight. I was interested in going to the National Library and Archives, but I couldn’t find it, so I stopped at the post office and sent postcards to Mr. Hanley, Jo, and myself. Anikka’s postcard went into the mail last week. Not long after I returned home, I had to close all the louvers and then Uashioa had to secure a few things.

I certainly didn’t want my passport, camera, or computer getting wet. A gust of wind blew so hard that some of the pots and pans went flying. I then had a rest whilst the weather pounded its fury and remained relatively cool; it gave me some time to think of some travel advice. For anyone travelling to Tuvalu, it is a purely cash economy; credit cards and Eftpos aren't accepted anywhere and there are no ATMs. It is possible, however, to exchange some currencies at the airport and receive money via Western Union. Tuvalu is one of the frequently discussed countries in a Facebook group called Every Passport Stamp (EPS). Travellers note that they routinely get bumped from the Suva-Funafuti leg due to the airline having to carry enough fuel for both directions. It's also one of the most expensive flights in the world for the duration but my flight from Chile to the Falkland Islands cost about 50% more for a journey of only about 90 minutes. Fortunately I had no issues coming here, and I've read that checking in online is key; showing up at the airport early doesn't offer any guarantees if you didn't check in online.

When the weather cleared a bit I did some last-minute exploring. This is what some of the roads can look like after a torrential downpour.

It doesn't keep the locals from riding their motorscooters through. From there I hitchhiked to the western end of the atoll. 

Whilst I'm never bored here, I don't picture Tuvalu as a place for a romantic holiday but more a place I'd go for exploration on my own. One final evening with Uashioa, Gano, and their sons around a filling dinner would round out a nice time here. 

Unless my flight gets delayed tomorrow, another fabulous journey is complete. Staying with Uashiao, Gano, and family has been one of the highlights of my journey. Tuvalu…the real Polynesia, at last!

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tuvalu

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.