Existing Member?

Age is no limit

Never Stop Exploring

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 8 September 2015 | Views [2152] | Comments [2] | Scholarship Entry

Taking my brand new camera out of the box I quickly read through the instruction booklet moments before I am to meet my subject. I think I’ve grasped the basics by the time he arrives – late because he couldn’t bring himself to get out of a hot shower.

This application film is the result of the first shoot with my camera with a man that I find a travel inspiration. I do work in the media, but I don’t believe I am a professional filmmaker – which is why I am applying for this dream-come-true scholarship.

My background is in news, rather than documentary and as an editor, rather than a filmmaker. I have recently made a decision to move towards the front of the storytelling process, wanting to learn how to unlock and craft a compelling story. I’m currently enrolled in a couple of courses as my first steps towards becoming a legitimate storyteller, including Storytelling Skills for Factual TV at AFTRS, and I’ve just bought my first DSLR and microphone and will talk about f-stops and aperture with anyone who will listen. So I’m very serious in absorbing all the information I can from anyone I can find!

The skills I would gain from this opportunity would be more than I could even imagine. Documentary-style travel films are where my passions lie and I believe I could take what knowledge I already have and move ahead in leaps and bounds under Brian Rapsey’s invaluable mentorship. I hope he has stamina because I am still that annoying little kid that is constantly asking ‘why’!

Tags: 2015 Film Scholarship to Colombia

Comments

1

This is a great piece!

I really admire your opening sequence. Strong interview in terms of picture, audio, and of course, dialogue. Great concept and use of b-roll as well!

Ken seems to be an ideal character; very textured with interesting things to say. Watching this makes me want to hang out with him.

Awesome work overall! Good luck.

  jschiappa Sep 9, 2015 5:03 AM

2

Oh you have done this so, so well! What a character, you've captured Ken beautifully.

  geemc Sep 16, 2015 8:58 PM

About yasib


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.