Existing Member?

Derek Turner's "Local Encounters"

My Video scholarship 2010 entry

WORLDWIDE | Saturday, 31 July 2010 | Views [1562] | Scholarship Entry

Have you ever asked yourself what you would do if money wasn’t a factor? My answer was always: travel. I’m fortunate to have had some opportunities to travel, when so many people are just struggling to survive. It’s the people, who despite their circumstances manage to live full, happy lives who are truly inspiring.

2 ½ years of traveling across 6 continents and over 30 countries have given me more footage than I know what to do with. However, certain experiences resonate more than others, so after brainstorming and sketching out an outline for my “Local Encounters” piece, I tried to pinpoint footage from those specific encounters.

Besides the obvious challenge of capturing a pure moment without interrupting it in the process, the most difficult challenge was combing through hours of mediocre footage to find quality clips. (Well, that and I only heard of this scholarship just days before the deadline!!)

Every person has a story to tell, many will inspire the rest of us to live better lives: to dream, to serve, to live. My goal as a documentary maker is to find those people and their stories, and share them with the rest of the world.

Tags: 2010 travel video scholarship

About worldturner


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.