Existing Member?

Vagabonding

Hazy Days Of The City Hopper

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 27 December 2007 | Views [1368]

 

During the week prior to my departure for far and distant Australian shores I watched a lot of Globe Trekker on the Travel Channel.  One such day I found myself glued to the TV watching the afore-mentioned show and for a change it wasn’t because the lovely Megan McCormack was presenting it.  Instead, it was a different American traveller showing the world what Sydney has to offer.  She said that practically every budget traveller stays in Kings Cross, lazes on Bondi Beach and aspires to climbing the Harbour Bridge.  I felt special. Despite spending, accumulatively, around a month in Sydney I had never been to the two spots mentioned and had never really felt like hauling my backside up the old coat-hanger shaped bridge.  This time in Sydney was different, in the Bondi sense, as I decided to base myself in the beachside suburb.  Mainly due to the fact that two school friends live there but also to see what all the fuss is about.

 

I subsequently spent the next 3 days living a routined life more reminiscent of a package tourist than the independent, adventurous, charming, quick-witted and, if I may say so, extremely desirable traveller that I have become over the years.  The 72 hours merged into a hazy memory of bacon & egg breakfasts, afternoon excursions, drinks of an evening and British & Irish accents around every corner.  As excellent as it is to have a cooked breakfast every morning, it just doesn’t make for a good travel blog.  It does however set you up nicely for the afternoon adventures, the first of which being the popping of my body boarding cherry. 

 

Walking down Bondi road toward the beach with a board under your arm, the sun shining and not a care in the world leaves you with one of those permanent Cheshire cat grins that are difficult to remove.  The beach was stunning, packed with enough beautiful people to back my ugly Australia theory nicely and the surf was absolutely perfect.  I spent around 2 hours in the water but only managed to catch two decent waves.  For me though it was more than enough.  I’m not usually the type to venture into the sea as my brain has a tendency to play the Jaws theme tune and leave me with ever so slightly soiled underwear.  So to be body boarding at Bondi was a beautiful moment.

 

The second day’s afternoon adventure saw me visiting some old haunts in the south of the city.  I drove down to Kurnell on Botany Bay with my friend Andy (the Tim-Tam volunteer) and paid a visit to some folks who I stayed with the last time I was on this side of the planet. It turned out to be an excellent idea as after a long meander along the rocky shores of Botany Bay national park, we were fed an excellent roast dinner and plied with boutique beers from Byron Bay.  We were both left with fixed grins after devouring our first roast dinner in months.  Another beautiful moment.

 

On Christmas day, after a pig and chicken based breakfast, I walked with Andy down to the rocks at Bondi, passing hundreds of Irish people outside the catholic church clad in Gaelic football shirts, and spent some of the morning perched upon a rock watching the crowds go by.  This was followed by an ambitiously priced Christmas lunch at a hotel by the beach and a long afternoon of killing brain cells with the assistance of the Hunter Valleys “finest” red wine.  The party animal in me died around 5pm and I was ready for bed by 7pm.

 

So despite having an excellent three days in Sydney, my cholesterol level and liver are happy setting off from the city today.  Due to time being a commodity that I don’t have much of at the moment, I set off from Bondi, accompanied by Andy, with the target of being in Melbourne in two days time.  After another brief and unintended tour of the city centre we’re on the highway heading west towards the Blue Mountains.  We’re soon ascending into the green and pleasant little towns to the west of the city.  The van struggles on some of the climbs and even my verbal encouragement can’t get more power from third gear.  We eventually reach Katoomba and head straight for Echo Point in order to get the classic holiday snap of the 3 sisters rock formation.  The viewing point is heaving with camera-clutching tourists, I shouldn’t really complain as I’m one of them but it’s a natural reaction to think “bloody tourists…” 

 

After a few happy snaps, including one of Andy almost playing full-on tonsil tennis with an Aboriginal guy who was busking with his didge, we continue westwards and get to Bathurst around an hour later.  I make a sharp turn off the highway and after numerous roundabouts and several moments of self-doubt in the navigation department we reach the Mt Panorama racetrack.  Famous for the V8 supercar races which take place here, the track is, for most of the year, a public road with a sedate 60km/h speed limit.  I take a few photos of the van at the start line before jumping into the driver’s seat and making my assault on the track.  I’d love to say that the speed limit went out the window and that a campervan has never looked so at home on a racetrack but I can’t.  My verbal encouragement of third gear turns to abuse as the van huffs and puffs around the uphill first half of the course. As we start to downhill section the corners become much tighter and I’m left with my foot permanently on the break.  By the time we get to the home straight, where illegal speeding becomes far more likely, there are three law-abiding cars plodding sluggishly in front of the van.  We leave the track without having broken the law, I feel slightly disappointed. 

 

The rest of the afternoon is spent abiding by the speed limits and making our way southward.  We reach the town of Young by early evening and check into a campsite.  I try and make some conversation with the woman behind the counter and her shifty looking man-friend but to no avail.  They seem as if they want to talk but haven’t for so long that it’s a difficult process.  I decide to spare them the pain and leave before someone hurts themselves.  I settle in for the night with some beer and music and reflect over 3 festively hazy days in Bondi.  I wonder if New Year in Melbourne will be similar? I could do with some more bacon & eggs…

Andy going for the lunge...

Andy going for the lunge...

Tags: Misadventures

About whippin_picadilly

Dr Dolittle speaks many languages...

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.