Existing Member?

Wanderlust Fever:From Africa to Shanghai

Lovely little asain city

SOUTH AFRICA | Thursday, 28 May 2015 | Views [114] | Scholarship Entry

In my final year in University I got an amazing opportunity to complete my final 6 month semester in China.This was my first time outside of my country and little did I know that the second I stepped onto a plane for the first time I was about to get infected with the “wanderlust fever”I was excited and scared I mean an African girl living in China.I had so many preconceived ideas about this place. #TT(TravelTip)1:Don’t be scared to explore the beauty of travelling is the new experience. I left with an open #TT2:Travel with an open mind and open heart!
We arrived in Shanghai (3 South Africans-one white, one black, one Indian)This confused the Chinese cause apparently there are only black people in Africa running around on lions #TT4:Don’t get mad at how people think you country is rather take this as an opportunity to educate them! We took the sub way and its as packed as you imagine. But when in China do as the Chinese do.We ended up at the French Concession-an area rich with French history and culture.Soon after we got lost.However, luckily we had our Chinese language handbook right?Wrong!That handbook was useless.We that most chinese people only understand their characters like ?/? not the alphabets. Luckily we made a English speaking chinese friend. We all had dinner at a 100% chinese restaurant(as in we couldn’t read the menu) not sure what we ate but hey when in China…#TT5 This part of the story is only for the brave.
The next day we made new Moroccian and French friends.We went to a city called Hangzhou-its not as famous as Shanghai or Beijing but its beauty lies in its majestic simplicity. What stood out was the West lake.It comes alive at night with music and colours igniting it.Its famous for its love story.Apparently the music in the lake is the sound of the soul of a woman in search of a boy who once saved her life#TT6 Chinese people love their stories,respect their beliefs. The city also has the longest bridge in the country called the Qiatang River Bridge connecting it to Beijing-just in case you feel like a taking a really long walk. By just being open and friendly and willing to fully experience this country we had already made Chinese, Moroccan and French friends. We were from different backgrounds, we looked different from each other but we had one thing in common-The wanderlust fever! So I say to you fellow/potential traveller go out there and embrace your wanderlust! Its within you let it out!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About wanderlusttraveljournal


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.