Existing Member?

Lost in Wanderlust

To Truly Graduate

ITALY | Wednesday, 23 April 2014 | Views [105] | Scholarship Entry

After a long day of wandering Florence, there is no other place I would rather be than in this bed below the sea green shutters, reflecting on my exciting day and anticipating what lies ahead. I climb 47 steps to my pensione which overlooks a quiet alleyway that is just far enough from the busy streets of tourists, but just close enough to join in on the commotion of the vibrant city when I feel like it. Smack dab in the middle of The Duomo, Ponte Vecchio and Santa Croce Basilica: a location which requires no means of transportation other than my own two feet. As a first timer to Florence, it could not be any more ideal because everything is so close that not even a severe case of jet lag has stopped me from getting out and exploring the town. After the initial adjustment of waking up in an adopted room, in someone else's bed where previous routines went about, I couldn't believe how much Florence had felt like home. Today, I woke up with no plans other then getting lost. First, I walked my neighborhood to get a sense of the crowds and busy tourists. Immediately overwhelmed by the crowds, I headed towards the Ponte Vecchio to explore the other side of the Arno River. After admiring the famous jewelry shops on the bridge, I continued on still with no destination in mind. After climbing many steps, strolling up windy paths and a few brief pauses to consider turning back, I inadvertently ended up at Piazzale Michelangelo. I took a seat on a bench and soaked up the panoramic view of Firenze. To put it simply, that view today blew my mind. This city has been here for centuries and for the most part, remained untouched. Florence has given me a newfound appreciation for art and architecture. Two things of which I normally would not have given a second glance, I've now found myself fish-eyeing with such admiration. And that doesn't even BEGIN to articulate the immense impact this town has had on me. Florence, Italy has taught me how worth it it is to go off the beaten track. Take the road less travelled. Walk apart from the crowds. Had I not done so today, I would not fully understand this feeling of conquering fear. While some are intimidated by independence (I used to be, also) and this being my first trip traveling solo, I've found that fear is what nourishes my soul and keeps me motivated to seek out the unknown. All because of this. This view. This feeling. This life. It's been so worth every doubt, uncertainty, and wrong turn. I am so ready for more.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About veerooney

Ponte Vecchio in Florence, Italy

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.