Existing Member?

Kashmir

A magical experience

PAKISTAN | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [345] | Scholarship Entry

I will never forget the day that has given me a memory to be cherished forever in my life. It is the breathtaking journey which I undertook to Azad Kashmir dedicated to my best friend who suffered from cancer. Her dream was to travel to Kashmir which is famous for being heaven on Earth. However, due to being ill, I promised that her dream of visiting Azad Kashmir would turn into a reality one day. When my vacations started I realized that summer was the best time to complete the expedition. After making the necessary arrangements, I went to Muzaffarabad which is the capital of Azad Kashmir.
During my interaction with the Kashmiri people, I found them to be pleasant and very hospitable. They ensured that my stay would be fun filled and full of vigour. Though they spoke the national language of Pakistan i.e. Urdu, the accent was very different and unique in its own way. I told them about my best friend and how she wanted to visit this beautiful area extended by a prayer from their side. After having a wonderful chit chat, they designated a guide for me who would take me to Neelum valley and show me the mountainous region of Kashmir.
After waking up the next day, my hosts had prepared a traditional breakfast which is to die for. It was an egg mixed with nuts and spices served along with a traditional nan known as paratha. I have always suggested this meal to everyone who thinks of going to Kashmir. My guide and I started on the journey and went to Nekrun, a place with serene and lush green mountains between which the river Neelum flows. We were going in public transport and definitely one should take fewer luggage because there is transition from travelling in buses, donkey carts to walking.
I went for hiking and the place which we climbed was known as Kel where we saw everyone wearing their traditional clothes. That was an incredible view with the Indian mountain straight ahead of me. There were beautiful wooden huts made and everything seemed so out of this world. I was surrounded by tranquility from the beautiful sound of the river; it was working as a sedative. My life time dream of seeing the sun set beneath the mountains and the bright stars filling the sky at night time was fulfilled. During my stay, I bought plenty of famous pashmina shawls and their well known hand embroidered clothes as souvenirs for my friends and family. I would want to go to Kashmir again and again. At least I am glad my friend will now rest in peace as I fulfilled her dream.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About traveller14


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Pakistan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.