Existing Member?

An Experience with The Bookery

My Video scholarship 2010 entry

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 1 August 2010 | Views [3564] | Comments [9] | Scholarship Entry

CREDITS

*Special Thanks to Dean Leslie and Greg Fell from THE AFRICAN ATTACHMENT, my internship abroad site in Cape Town, South Africa, for the aerial footage used in the beginning of this documentary.

*Music used was purchased from IBAudio.com, a royalty free music website.

 

1.       I am a film student from the University of Nebraska, Lincoln. I stayed in the country of South Africa over the month of June 2010 to participate in an internship abroad program. The country had come to life in the presence of the FIFA World Cup. Everyone was united under national pride; it was difficult to recognize that the country and its people had been divided only 20 years ago under the Apartheid government. It was my encounter with The Bookery that opened my eyes to the issues that still remain from the Apartheid years. Their story inspired me, and I wanted to make this documentary featuring my account with the organization.

 

2.       After becoming aware of The Bookery and their story, I wrote a script and pieced together the documentary in my spare time.

 

3.       My greatest challenge was finding the extra time to work on the documentary!

 

4.       My ambition is simply storytelling. I love filmmaking and am excited to begin a career in documentary filmmaking. I’ve realized that the human story is what unites us all in this world; it is the one thing that we all have in common and enjoy sharing.

Tags: 2010 travel video scholarship

Comments

1

Really good job Tanner. I love seeing young adults that "get it" and want to give back. I look forward to seeing more of your work

  Bryce Liptac Aug 17, 2010 8:25 AM

2

Tanner,
We are very proud of you!
Mr. and Mrs. Sulu

  Pedro Sulu Aug 18, 2010 3:40 AM

3

Thanks Bryce! That means a lot, and thanks for the support Mr. and Mrs. Sulu!

  Tanner Brandt Aug 19, 2010 3:27 PM

4

Dear Tanner,

Hope you don't mind we posted your video on our website.
http://www.equaleducation.org.za/Bookery-August-2010

Best of Luck in all your future endeavours.

Kind Regards,

Wande

  Wande Aug 23, 2010 10:03 PM

5

Great job, Tanner! I'm very proud of you. Keep up the great work. Awesome! Bert

  Bert Wright Aug 26, 2010 5:20 AM

6

Hi Tanner! You don't know me, but my name is Angie Shaw and I'm the elementary library media specialist in Scottsbluff, at Lincoln Heights and at Longfellow. Kim Klein shared your piece with me and it blessed my heart! Thank you for shining such a positive light on libraries and the power of one one person believing in a cause! You truly are a lighthouse, reflecting positive change in the world!
KEEP SHINING!!

  Angie Shaw Sep 7, 2010 1:35 PM

7

Hi Tanner. My name is Julieta. I was born and raised in Mexico City. Your video has opened great doors for me; it has encouraged me to learn about documentary making. Please let me know if there is a way I could donate books to the Bookerie from Mexico. I would also have the support of the institution where I majored in International Affairs, El Colegio de México. Kind regards and THANK YOU.

  Julieta Falcón Sep 22, 2010 11:46 PM

8

Thanks again everyone :)

Hi Julieta,
That's great, I hope you enjoy going into it! I'll send you the contact information for The Bookery.

  Tanner Brandt Sep 25, 2010 1:41 PM

9

Hi there,

Wow, what inspiring work! I hope you don't mind if I post the video up on the Bookery Blog?
http://eebookery.wordpress.com

Keep up the great work and best of luck!

  Jo Barrow Oct 12, 2010 8:41 PM

About tbrandt_20


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.