Existing Member?

Trip of a Lifetime I soon realized that no journey carries one far unless, as it extends into the world around us, it goes an equal distance into the world within. ~Lillian Smith

Off to the Galapagos Islands

ECUADOR | Sunday, 17 February 2008 | Views [763]

A male Frigate, they puff out their chests to attact females.  There were no females around but he was quite happy sitting on our boat.

A male Frigate, they puff out their chests to attact females. There were no females around but he was quite happy sitting on our boat.

We were up early and heading to a different airport to fly to the Galapagos.  It was a 30 minute flight to Guayaquil  (city located on the coast) where we picked up passengers and then a 90 minute flight to Baltra on Santa Cruz Island. The Galapagos are located about 620 miles off the Pacific coast of South America.  There are 13 major islands in the archipelago along with many islets.  We met our naturalist guide, Wilo, and got our luggage and headed to our boat.  Our boat was called the Loba del Mar (Sea Wolf) and was about 70´ long and slept 18 people and had 9 crew members. 

That afternoon, we headed out in two dinghies (sp?) to Black Turtle Bay to see the Pacific Green Sea Turtle. Along the way, we saw blue herons,  blue footed boobies, lava birds, brown pelicans, and frigate birds.  There were dozens of sea turtles swimming around. They live 75-100 years and each female can lay up to 60 eggs!  Unfortunately, only 1-2% make it to 5 years old.   

I had already taken a shower but we were in this canal between the islands and the water was so smooth so a group of us went swimming around the boat.  It was so nice and it has been so long since I´ve been in the water that wasn´t freezing!

We had an excellent dinner and I think everyone was asleep by 9:30 p.m. since breakfast was at 7 am the next morning.

Tags: The Great Outdoors

About sregevig


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.