Existing Member?

That feeling of your belonging with a certain place or people

"That feeling" of belonging

SOUTH KOREA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [194] | Scholarship Entry

People always try to find something more better than they have, so the world can be divided into two groups: the one that already found their “domestic paradise” the place where people feel themselves like at home all the time and, the one that still desperately try to find it.

I believe since the historical circumstances of my birth and existence I will always refer myself to the second group. At least, I thought this way. The country in which I was born is being known to the all Asian people as “the Pearl of Central Asia”, at least all of the people that live in this country call it like that. But for the rest of normal-mortal humans in the world this country may be also known as Uzbekistan.

Uzbekistan is a beautiful and one of only two double-landlocked countries in the world with its tremendous history. For over a thousand years, the network of trading routes also known as the Silk Road was flush with camel caravans carrying spices, silks, people and ideas from east to west and back again.

Being Korean descent and being born in Muslim country was a truly fascinating life experience but for my entire life I didn’t get “that feeling” that my family and I may belong there. Despite the fact, that Uzbek people are the one of the most generous people that I have ever met.

Can you imagine feeling yourself like a tourist your entire life? Unfortunately it is not that fancy as it may sound. I tried so hard to find the only place in the world where I could possibly get “that feeling” that I belong to the society. By merging in the crowd of people and just feel from the inside that you are part of it.

This place became for me Korea. Korean people definitely know how to party. Korea is the best place on the planet to spend time at while you are young. Young people can get everything what they want far easier way than elders and it seems like everything is just literally made for students.

Korean people may be not very friendly to the foreigners. Besides being a university student means that you need to study everyday in spite of the day of the week. But all of this does not really matter when you get “that feeling” of belonging that you have been looking for so long.

I believe that now I refer myself to the third group, which has its “domestic paradise” where you can get “that feeling”, but at the same it wants to explore more world.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About sp34ever


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.