Existing Member?

The first time it snowed in Scotland

The first time it snowed in Scotland

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [112] | Scholarship Entry

I was present the very first time it snowed in Scotland. Scottish mountainsides powdered in a fine white film, Sure to manipulate the ever green scenery into an inspiring winter wonderland, an unexpected arrival indeed. My uncle had assured me the day prior, Christmas Eve, that it would be a genuine Christmas Miracle! He explained “It simply isn’t cold enough”. Being the optimistic young woman I am, I whole heartedly disagreed with my dear Uncle. I couldn’t let this disappoint my once in a lifetime trip however. Being from New Zealand myself I had surely hoped to experience a white Christmas. It’s normally summer time during Christmas and I wanted to experience the polar opposite of my normal life. I grew up seeing cartoons and movies depicting the stereotypical “white Christmas “,I yearned to experience the Christmas the rest of the world so hopelessly loved. I was visiting Scotland with my grandmother, a highlander herself, an opportunity to embrace my Scottish heritage. All well and nice, but I was much more interested in the rolling hillsides, littered with medievil remains of castles and the grey pebbled shore beaches. I had plenty of time to learn from Grandma on the flight home. We arrived not too far off Christmas. The 20th of December, a near week until the main event. The days grew darker earlier, colder much faster, and the arresting promise of Christmas was just around the corner. I sat on the couch Christmas eve night, I remembered my wise mother’s words from back in New Zealand, reminiscing on past Christmas’ and questioning whether it would be as amazing for Mum back home as it was for me here in Scotland. “The earlier you sleep, the earlier you’ll wake” she would tell me and although I was miles away from home, the wisdom of obeying finally applied. I made my way to bed where a merry white Christmas was all I could dream of. I awoke in a flurry, much like the weather outside. I opened my curtains to peer out at Scotland on christmas morning, only to find my dream had come true. I was present the very first time it snowed in Scotland. Scottish mountainsides powdered in a fine white film, Sure to manipulate the ever green scenery into an inspiring winter wonderland, an unexpected arrival indeed. My uncle had assured me the day prior, Christmas Eve, that it would be a genuine Christmas Miracle!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About sophiestraveljournal


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.