Existing Member?

Forgetting the Past

My Video scholarship 2010 entry

WORLDWIDE | Friday, 30 July 2010 | Views [3183] | Comments [2] | Scholarship Entry

It all started when I traveled to Northern Uganda with an organization that helps war effected children through soccer. After hearing the atrocities that happened to those children, I couldn't imagine how they still found a way to keep laughing like they do. Yet what I really wanted to know was not just the collective facts, but the individual feelings of the children going through that experience in their own words.

And so my plan was to simply make those children trust me and just listen. 

My main challenge, apart from the limited resources of the village I was in, was getting David who was a shy kid affected by his past, to open up to me. To make him feel that I truly cared about listening to him just talk. And when he did bare those rawest of human emotions, it was an empathy between 2 human beings that I've never experienced before.

It's those raw human emotions that I aspire to portray as a documentary filmmaker, and portray them in a poetic form, through film, so that empathy I felt gets shared between us all.

Mohamed Soliman

solyjazz@gmail.com

Tags: 2010 travel video scholarship

Comments

1

Excellent work.

Amazing how you managed to get such a touching story out and send such a strong message through this.

Best of luck with your work, I hope you keep in touch with him.

  Mehedi Rahman Sep 23, 2010 9:34 AM

2

Your work is now close to 6 months old but timeless. It is beautifully captured and edited, with enough distance to show your respect & closeness to connect deeply.
Best
Christophe

  Christophe Dec 9, 2010 9:03 PM

About soly


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.