Existing Member?

A sneaky peek below the peaks of Machu Picchu.

Beyond the Inca Trail.

PERU | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [189] | Scholarship Entry

Machu Picchu has a magnetic pull that entices people from all over the globe. The awesomeness of this majestic Inca temple is indisputable. Although this is where I begin my tale, up there, high in the sky, I would like you to follow me now, beneath the clouds, to descend upon an enrapturing ravine, a most gorgeous gorge, that is often overlooked.

For most, the town of Aguas Calientes is a place to pass through, a stop off point to get either to or from Machu Picchu, whilst maybe pausing for a quick dip in the thermal baths, before hopping on a train back to Cusco. I'd had a bad bout of 'travellers tummy', and although the hot springs went some way in rejuvenating me, I needed more time to rest and recuperate. And what a blessing in disguise that I got to re-energise in this quaint and quirky town.

Snug in the Sacred Valley, the tropical delights of the flora and fauna of the Botanical Gardens of Mandor, are as impressive in sound as they are in sight; alive with the melodies of the jungle. There are awe-inspiring waterfalls, a sacred ceremonial circle and a butterfly house. All of which are there for everyone to enjoy, if only they make the time.

I wasn't just enamoured by the scenery. Although we only spent a week there, Aguas Calientes is a very small town, and because most tourists only spend one or two nights there, our faces soon became known to the locals. This familiarity opened up a host of kindness, camaraderie and conversation, and a glimpse at how hospitable Peruvians can be.

Peru's national football team had a local derby with their neighbours, Ecuador, during our stay. The excitement wafting through the air was contagious, and even myself, who has no love of the 'beautiful game', couldn't help but get infected with football fever. For ninety minutes, everyday life in Aguas Calientes was on hold.

They lost 2-0 that day. Yet the only spirits this seemed to dampen were of the alcoholic variety. "At least they didn't play as badly as last time," became the celebratory mantra of the evening, and party time in Aguas Calientes ensued. After much merriment and a dance with the slightly lecherous local mayor, our night felt complete. So, leaving the local inhabitants in full flow, we retired to our room. Here we stared at the wall in wonder, at a man in a bowler hat, climbing stairs to heavenly skies (one of the unique murals that occupied each room of the hotel we were staying in), until we slipped off to sleep and drifted into sweet dreams.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About snidger


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.