Existing Member?

Globe Hopper

Memoirs of a child’s first travel experience.

SOUTH AFRICA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [199] | Scholarship Entry

I’ll never forget the day that I was introduced to the world of traveling...

I was only 5years old and had no idea that I was about to be given a gift more precious than the pretty doll in my hand, a gift that would shape my mind and broaden the experiences of life forever, the gift called Traveling.

Our journey by train began from Durban to Cape Town and everyone was enraptured in the excitement. As we made ourselves comfortable in the 6sleeper cabin the Trans Karoo meandered its way passing the Orange River and Karoo Desert in a 40hour journey before reaching Cape Town. I awoke the next morning wondering what the rest of the day held aboard the moving train but the heat was unbearable. With not knowing what to really do with myself I affixed myself to the window and watched the outside from the speeding train. I was shocked at the sight of many animals lying dead from the merciless heat of the desert and this had to be the worst part of my trip.

The next morning we all awoke early and awaited our destination: Cape Town. When we had settled into the hotel I took a peek outside and I summoned everyone to the window to look at the horse pulling a cart which is not found in urban cities. The next days were filled with great adventure in this city that had things I had never experienced before. I was amazed that a bus could have another one on top of it. We were headed for Table Mountain in a cable car. I had never seen anything quite like a mountain before: it had its foot plunged in the sea and its nose up in the sky and it was strong and majestic. It was hard and rigid and felt like eons of years old. We ate at a restaurant located on the top of the mountain where I learnt how to eat with a fork and knife and I saw lots of squirrels.

We also went to the Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens which is so stunning that just basking in its beauty leaves one agape. The panoramic view of the flower beds, trees and waterfalls lies against the mountain which cranes up into the azure skies creating a portrait of resplendence. Next, we visited Simonstown, SA Museum, Cape Point, vineyards and many more.
My first traveling trip changed me and allowed me to absorb the beauty of different cultures and to build bridges of friendships and appreciate diverse people. The greatest gift my parents gave me was the gift of travel.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About shenaz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.