Existing Member?

it's a long way from whitley bay... Hi everyone and welcome to our journal where you can see and read what we've been up to and where we're going next. We hope you enjoy it, and would love you to keep in touch with your news, and send us your comments! Lots of love, Sarah and Phil x ;)

Leshan and Chongqing

CHINA | Wednesday, 12 March 2008 | Views [2826] | Comments [5]

the giant buddha watches over Leshan

the giant buddha watches over Leshan

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update before we get on our boat and sail down the Yangtze.  Well at least we've been told it's the Yangtze lurking out their beneath the grey skies... to be honest it could be the Amazon jungle for all we can see outside!

fog on the Tyne.. or is that the Yangtze?!

Michael Fish would probably grimace and describe the weather here today as grizzly (i.e. grey and drizzly). So we have all of our fingers and toes crossed that it might improve for at least some of our four days on the boat... otherwise you can expect a pallid looking and blinky-eyed pair to emerge on Saturday, having spent four days playing scrabble whilst consuming all of the 'Great Wall' Chinese wine, chocolate and cashew nuts that we've just bought from Carrefour!

We've enjoyed the last couple of days in Chengdu - which we spent mostly mooching about - and drinking tea - lots of it! Green tea, black tea, jasmine tea, chrysanthemum tea... we've had it all! We've actually been doing a bit of a tour of Chengdu's historic teahouses, which are mostly located in city parks - some of the last remaining parts of 'Old China' and where the older Chinese people seem to hang out during the day - and we think they have the right idea!

Getting away from the smog and chaos of the city is definitely the way to go here, and the old folks seem to have a lot more fun than the bright young things working in the concrete metropolis, as they while away the day playing mahjong or cards (many placing a little wager to make things a little more interesting!), or joining in one of the Tai Chi, dancing sessions or karaoke. Yes, anyone can turn up and sing karaoke in the park - and at any one time there are four or five different booths - all pitching out Chinese pop at top volume. Chinese people don't seem to go in for peace and quiet all that much!

´tie´chi and dancing in the park

We did also try to go up the Mountain we mentioned in the last entry, but didn't quite make it - thwarted by the grizzle once again. We don't seem to be very good at mountains. Or communist mausoleums... maybe we'll have to take a detour via Cuba before we come home!

We did however manage to get a bus out to Leshan - a town about 100km from Chengdu which is famous for having the world's largest buddha statue - full stop - no 'reclining' or 'with golden fingernails' caveats this time!

the giant buddha looks out at some of Leshan's newer buildings

stop it - you're tickling my toes!

He was pretty spectacular anyway, regardless of his record-breaking credentials - with toes the size of Phil and ears the size of a bus!

the Chinese seem to have a peculiarly fatalistic view of health and safety

In other news we are very excited to have some more visitors coming to see us in June - the lovely Miss Humphreys and her friend Vanessa. They will be meeting us in Rio on June 28th for cocktails on Copacabana beach and travelling down to Buenos Aires, via the Iguacu falls with us. We can't wait and are also looking forward to watching our blog readership soar as two lovely ladies join our entourage!!

Comments

1

Well done for the update and photos you two - I guess we blog readers benefit from the weather being stinky poo (or was that a character in the Mikado?)

Thoughts beginning to turn to packing - somewhat confused by the weather reports saying that it's 24C in Singapore and 39C (thirty nine) in Melbourne!

Onward and upward

Dad XX

  Dad B Mar 13, 2008 8:26 AM

2

Hello lovely people!

More great updates chaps - I'm very impressed with your blogging dedication and love reading them. I hope I'll get a signed copy when your memoirs are published!

Sorry to hear about the nasty people making off with your camera and ipod, but what a relief that you'd just backed up the photos - phewy! I guess you have to put these things down to experience but if you're like me, it will bug you for ages. Still no sign of our camera which went missing at our wedding (see, you can't trust anyone!!!)

Just back from a great trip to New York - lots of walking, sightseeing, eating and drinking. Can't remember if it's on your itinerary but have lots of recommendations.

Thank you so much for my birthday card. I'm very impressed with your organisation skills and it was a lovely surprise this morning.

Take care and happy travels, lots of love xxxxxxxx

  Alex Mar 14, 2008 9:51 PM

3

Singing my heart out to radiohead as i type this! I have now got my i pod fully working and am loving re-visiting some favourite old albums that i haven't listened to for years (sorry sarah, just as i get my i pod yours has gone walkies.....) you will have to re stock with music from each place you visit!

I watched 'La vie en rose' last night with Marion cotillard (didn't watch it with her- she is in the film) who won lots of awards for her portrayal of Edith Piaf. It is a great film with fantastic performances from her and it's really interesting to know all of the background behind her music- she had a really messed up time if the film is true to life. Still no book recommendations for you i'm afraid unless you fancy reading some french verb tables?! Hope all is well and you are off to Oz for some sun soon XXX

  anna Mar 15, 2008 4:56 AM

4

How cool - I've been immortalised in the blog world!! (is that the right word? - my brain's so frazzled from a week of excessive corporate nonsense that I'd probably struggle to convincingly tell anyone my name!).

Anyway, hope the boat proved fun - bet you miss your old tv playing mobile on days like this hey! David Platt pushed Gail down the stairs tonight in Corrie - she might not survive....I'll let you know

Lots of love xxx

Ps - I'm going to Tenerife in the morning so have to pack now. I also have a large credit card bill for anyone wondering if I have a sugar daddy, unfortunately, no!

  Louise Humphreys Mar 15, 2008 7:19 AM

5

I've just got back from a week's sun in Lanzarote - bad enough returning to work but have just put myself through the punishment of catching up with your exploits so am now feeling very middle-aged and provincial!! You are having such an amazing time - so many memories to treasure - the thieves can't take them!Weather here is set to be very cold for Easter weekend. Things much the same here - we move office to London Bridge in a month so lots of rubbish to sort out - I wonder if cardboard Phil will survive? (you're getting a bit wobbly). Seating plan has been announced and alas no river views for the Comms team :(
We're missing you both. Hope the 'grizzle' has cleared.
Hel xx

  Hel S Mar 18, 2008 12:50 AM

About sarahandphil


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.