Existing Member?

Keep on moving

My Video scholarship 2010 entry

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 18 July 2010 | Views [1561] | Scholarship Entry

I couldn't wait to get out to South Africa for the World Cup, but my excitement had very little to do with the glamorous stadiums that were being built. I felt that spending such huge amounts of money on stadiums that would hardly be used after the tournament, in a country where so many people live in poverty, was very shortsighted.

I contacted a charity that works in townships in South Africa and explained to them what I wanted to do. They suggested I visited a township near Cape Town and made me aware of some of the residents I may be able to speak to. I chose to interview Nandipha because of her warm smile and out-going nature.

The main challenge I faced was in finding an area quiet enough to conduct the interview. The township was very noisy, with excited children wanting to be on film and dogs barking at every passer by. I eventually found a relatively quiet spot on the edge of some woods, but soon after pressing record some guy began hammering on metal, I’m sure just to test my patience! I was unable to film the interview inside due to poor lighting.

My two passions are filmmaking and travel, so to combine the two as a documentary maker is my ambition. Which is why I study Film Production at University, and get out of the country with my camera as often as possible!

Tags: 2010 travel video scholarship

About ryanchapman


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.