Existing Member?

Ride Earth On Sunday 17th June 2007, Tom Allen, Andrew Welch and Mark Maultby embarked upon Ride Earth - their mission to circumnavigate the world by mountain bike. Follow their progress here.

Practicing What You Preach

GEORGIA | Friday, 2 May 2008 | Views [1083]

Last night I went to teach my English speaking lesson at the ‘Georgian-Scottish-House’ in Tbilisi. Recently I have had another gear-change with regards to my thinking on how I can do my bit to help reduce the now widely accepted human-induced climate change that is happening.

A main aim of Ride Earth is to observe and document the effects of climate change and to promote bicycle use. My time in Tbilisi is allowing me to realign how I approach achieving these things. I have been researching climate change on the internet and did a search for climate change documentaries.

I found ‘Are We Changing Planet Earth’, a BBC documentary which is basically the equivalent of ‘An Inconvenient Truth’, but is presented by the irrefutable David Attenborough which really hits the message home.

If you don’t know who David Attenborough is, then you’ve probably never watched a nature documentary. He is one of the world’s most acclaimed broadcasters and naturalists. He has been the face of British natural history programmes for the last 50 years.

I got hold of the documentary and took it to my lesson. One activity of the lesson, was to make a list of what the students liked and disliked about Georgia. On the ‘like’ side included Khachapuri (cheesy pizza), and on the dislike side, I included driving and wreckless overtaking. Some more things were added and ‘beautiful countryside’ was added to ‘Like’ and disrespect for the environment to ‘Dislike’.

It’s easy to think that for a country like Georgia they have to follow the same path of development to reach the stage of ‘western development’ before progressing further. This is not true. In the west, we made the mistakes first, and now we have the technology to solve the problems of human-accelerated climate change. This technology must be shared globally to ensure that other developing countries won’t make the same mistakes.

My students are very engaged in the issues of climate change. 10 minutes before the end of the lesson they sat and watched the entire documentary for additional hour, completely engaged by it’s content. They can see the reality of the problem and are scared about it’s affect on their future.

They saw the effects of climate change such as the increase in extreme weather conditions and that there is now more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere than in the last 600, 000 years.

They watched computer generated images of carbon dioxide as plume of black cubes being transmitted into the atmosphere and the greenhouse gas building up to thicken the blanket in our planet’s atmosphere.

And that every year we contribute an extra 25 billion tonnes to the atmosphere. That in the year 2050 38 degrees will be a normal temperature for London.

“We would all like to know for certain what will happen to our climate in the future whether we will be sweltering in a heatwave, or inundated by floods, but scientists can only give us a range of possiblities, and what they’re telling us is that our world will warm anywhere between 1.4 and 5.8 degree celcius.

To put it another way, the impact of global warming will be somewhere between severe and catastrophic.”

When you hear David Attenborough say that you know everyone, including your grandma, is going to take notice.

A visit is paid to the Hadley Centre in the MET office where they are using one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe which can do 10 billion calculations every second, a ‘flight simulator’ for the climate. It is predicting a bumpy ride. There are many climate models across the world. They all agree greenhouse gases will warm the system by similar amounts. No models dispute climate change.

The range of temperatures are between 2 and 6 degrees over 100 years. A change of 6 degrees would be so rapid as to cause irreparable damage. The forecast for the next 25 years is widely agreed on as being accurate and we can’t do much about the inertia of the change because it’s based on what we’ve already emitted in the past - a warming of 1-2 degrees across the UK, for example.

The students saw the footage of the ‘Boscastle Floods’ with streets underwater and cars being swept down the road like a river. They sat and watched intently as the film showed forest fires in Australia, and the effects of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans.

Half of carbon dioxide from mankind comes from domestic activities and the ‘Carbon Family’ is a fictional ‘average-suburban’ family in the film. The family looks like a typical UK or American family, using the microwave, kettle, cooker, owning 2 big cars, and using air travel.

I like the way the documentary makes the connection between the everyday appliances in the home directly to the power plant and to the collapsing ice shelf in the Arctic. In the Antarctic there was the complete disintegration of the Larson B ice shelf in 2002, indicating a ‘tipping point’, where more dark ocean is exposed to the sun and more heat is absorbed causing a feedback loop of warming.

The film covers species migration. It is difficult for species to migrate fast enough as the climate in their habitat changes so rapidly and that in 100 years over half the world’s species could be under threat of extinction.

I was aware that I was running well beyond the length of the lesson but everyone seemed very interested. The film goes back to the ‘Carbon Family’ and the emissions caused by buying food which is imported over a long distance.

Then they watched the changing situation in China where an average family currently uses 1/7 energy of a western family, but things are changing. China intends to build a coal fired power station every week for the next 7 years to the fuel the increasingly energy intensive lifestyle.

They saw the drought in the Amazon and the destruction of the forest which is the most biodiversity rich area on the planet containing many undiscovered species. The forest is considered ‘the lungs of the planet’ converting a huge amount of carbon dioxide in oxygen and water vapour which has a cooling effect.

The thing I was really glad to show them as they seemed to look increasingly worried and concerned, was the piece at the end on how we solve the problem.

The scientist Steve Bacala explains we have the technology to halt the rise of carbon emissions during this generation with his ‘7 slice model’. Each slice represents a method to cut out a contributor of greenhouse gas.

seven-slices

The first to cut is domestic use.

  1. Turn down the thermostat 3 degrees to reduce 1 tonne of carbon into the atmosphere.
  2. Turn gadgets/appliances/television off (not on standby) to save 10% of domestic energy use.
  3. Use energy saving light bulbs.
  4. Compost organic rubbish.
  5. Use a gas hob.
  6. Get better and more insulation in your house.
  7. Clean your fridge to save 200 kg of greenhouse gas.
  8. Buy locally grown produce.

The second is to drive differently.

The students, looked happier and relieved as they sat and watched the ‘Carbon Family’ switch to a nice shiny Toyota Prius instead of a gas guzzling 4×4. Get an energy efficient car (that does at least 60 miles to the gallon).

The 3rd slice goes if we use public transport.

The 4th goes on using alternative power (including controversial Nuclear). A solar power farm in China and gigantic wind turbines off the coast of the UK with their football pitch diameter turbine blades.

The 5th is the astonishing method of pumping carbon dioxide back underground on huge rigs in the sea (Geosequestration).

There is a general sigh of relief as their are more solutions put forward such as tree-planting in China, fuel cell cars, solar heaters and domestically living in an efficient and sustainable way.

Before we left I had to show them the part on how to make ‘an efficient cup of tea’! (don’t put more water than you need).

At the end the documentary hits you with the possibility of the complete destruction of the Greenland ice shelf causing sea levels to rise by as much as 7 metres over the next centuries condemning future generations to this disaster.

Something as simple as showing a documentary such as this to friends, school classes, or work colleagues is surely a good way to spread awareness about the major issues of climate change.

Click here for more information about the ‘Climate Chaos’ series of BBC programmes

Click here for 10 ways to reduce your carbon emissions

Interesting article on how much fuel in a car actually goes on transporting you and why bikes are great

Another good list of ways to cut back on emissions including ‘conference calling’ instead of driving for business

Bit late: Giving up carbon for lent

Tags: andy

 

 

Travel Answers about Georgia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.