Existing Member?

Indian Subcontinent 2008 - 2009

"Don't look now, there is a turd on your shoulder"and other stories from Orissa, India

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 30 January 2009 | Views [2934] | Comments [4]

Tribal woman in the Koraput market

Tribal woman in the Koraput market

Total land kilometres travelled: 8,500km and counting

Where we have spent the night:

29 guest house beds

8 train beds

3 bus seats

1 village hut

Dear friends and family – we have just spent an amazing 10 days exploring the beaches and hill tribe areas of Orissa state in North East India. We are in the progress of moving south along the coast to the bottom tip of India.

Puri Beach

We travelled 8 hours by train south from Kolkata to reach Puri – a beachside town on the cost of Orissa. We spent 4 days in a beachside cottage beside a fishing village – passing the time by having massages, swimming, drinking cold beers and meeting fellow travellers. However, our sins of gluttony and sloth were soon punished when we both got sick. Chloe ended up in hospital with a needle in her hand and Cisco is on antibiotics – but luckily it was short lived and we’re feeling back to 100%.

The theory for the sickness lies in the state of the beachside fishing village we stayed next to. Puri beach could well be renamed Poo-ree beach because, imagine if you will, the beach is littered with hundreds of human turds. Walking along the beach we had to keep our eyes trained on the sand to avoid stepping over a poo or a person in the process of making one. I saw more bare bums in this week than I have in my previous 31 years, which sounds exciting, but trust me, it wasn’t pretty. I wanted to chip in to buy everyone a shovel – but one village woman I met told me this is the way the village has always worked: everything is done in the open. To add to the grime we also saw kids playing cricket around puffy dead dogs (who had their legs bound and been drowned) and dozens of massive rotting turtles (whose legs had been slashed by fishermen so they couldn’t swim). The villagers lives and work in these putrid conditions – which is incomprehensible to us but normal and acceptable for the happy villagers, which of course is the main thing. However, we did stop eating seafood after we saw where the fish were coming from and, most importantly, what they were probably eating.....  

Note: don’t worry - we walked to a clean part of the beach for the swimming – but it didn’t stop Cisco saying to me “Don’t look now, but there is a turd on your shoulder” when I came up for air.

We met two kindred spirits & fellow adventurers in Orissa – Nettie and Jack from Holland. I am sure they won’t mind me telling you that they are 67 and 70 and still choosing the adventurous road in life. Beyond being amazing people – they showed us that being young at heart is the only prerequisite for travelling and exploring this amazing world.  

 Hill Tribes of inner Orissa

We decided to buck the trend and head to inner Orissa to visit the villages near the jungles and hills where the Adivasi tribes live. Due to logistics and restrictions not many people come to this part of Orissa: to visit most surrounding areas you need a permit and a guide. We decided to venture forth without either and it was the best decision we had made.  Because the tribes live so remotely and so traditionally its impossible to visit the actual tribal communities in the jungle so we headed for the villages nearby to see them as they come down from the hills for their weekly markets.

The highlight of our visit to the hill tribes was a 3 day stay in Koraput village - which is near to the Bonda tribe. This tribe still hunt with bow and arrow and are distinguished by their tribal facial piercings and are known as “the naked people” for wearing little clothing. We were in Koraput on the day which the Bonda tribespeople come down from their hills to sell their crops to the village. Their appearance is very different to the Indians we had met so far– some look almost African or Aboriginal - women wear three large gold hoops through their noses and most limbs are roughly tattooed. All tribespeople are barefoot and dressed in a simple piece of material wrapped (to varying degrees) around their bodies – usually accompanied by a baby in a sling or a stick from which they hang their wares. The Adivasi are known for their happiness and zest for life: they believe in appreciating their gift of life by celebrating it everyday. We loved seeing such a different side of India and were shown yet again how the simple life can be the happiest.  

While in the tribal areas we visited a village called Rayagada and after meeting a young schoolboy on the street we were invited to spend the day with a local family there. Uncle and Aunty, their 3 foster children and maidservant Onu adopted us for the day – driving us up into the hills to see waterfalls and rivers, showing us the full collection of family photo albums and feeding us an amazing thali of local Orissan food. Little maid Onu was wonderful – so shrivelled up and bent over but so warm and wonderful. She had been living with the family for 36 years and had long since passed her useful and productive days, but she was considered family so still lived in a tiny room out the back of the house.  We love Uncle and Aunty – so generous and loving to everyone who touches their lives. 

Why we love India

India has shown us that the people with the least are those who give the most: always with a smile and open heart and never with an expectation of return.  We saw quotes written around Orissa which we really liked. Here is one variation:

“The measure of a man’s wealth is what he has when you take away his money”

This focus is why, without exception, the Indians we have met are so rich in spirit and such amazing people. This is why we love India.

We will leave you with that thought as we head back into the Pondicherry chaos.

With much love

Chloe & Fra xoxoxoxo

 


Comments

1

Ok.... i have to tell you this is when your BRILLIANT story telling became somewhat of a face pulling experience for me (and i chose to read whilst i was eating my lunch which didn't seem to go down as well as i had hoped). With face pulling i mean a bit of a "shocker" to say the least. At first i thought no wait a minute the read can't get too much worse than this as after all we come from Africa what more can we be shocked with really....

BUT as always, once we read beyond the "almost" dodging of HUMAN turds whilst having romantic walks and swims with one delicately sitting right on your shoulder just like a pet budgie(a sight for sore eyes i bet). bare butts every way which way you turned (and knowing what they had all just done too, with probably not having been wiped either) scattered everywhere you turn, drowned dead dogs and then of course hearing of your misfortune with falling ill (not that i was in the least bit shocked after reading the conditions you witnessed and lived in), well you've left pretty much nothing to the imagination NOT that its a bad thing. Its just incredible to read that there are still some that live like that and its not all just what you hear from others.

Somehow when you know your brother-in-law and his girlfriend have been there and done that, it just makes it so much more real for us and yet to have come out not only more humble but to have appreciated every step of the way, you are truly inspiring us through your journey and we are learning thru your eyes along the way, the simple and most precious things in life which we all need reminding of all the time!

Hope you can stay well and healthy from here on and just so pleased you're still having the BEST time. Take care of yourselves and each other. God Bless.

  Jnr and Ness Feb 2, 2009 2:53 PM

2

Wow! Everything you have described and are experiencing has just totally blown me away. It's very inspiring and such a reminder of everything that exists beyond the horizons of NZ - all those things we forget when we get caught in a daily cycle of working and living over here. Love from me, Silver and Fraser (who's doing amazingly well!) xoxoxo

  Penny, Silverio and Fraser Feb 4, 2009 7:10 PM

3

ha ha ha, you've had me in stitches again chloe, i know why fra says you two laugh all the time ! reminded me of how shocked i was in goa at the tender age of thirteen, but of course now when you head to goa that will be very clean in comparison...i hope so anyway....love the quote...your hindi is obviously getting really good now ! try not to count the days down, just enjoy every moment, lots of love & big hugs xxxx THANK YOU for the beautiful card for Sayge, very special from your remote places, meant so much you still went out of your way to do that bet it wasn't easy ! xxxx

  Sue Feb 7, 2009 10:21 AM

4

Awesome story!! and beautiful qoute
“The measure of a man’s wealth is what he has when you take away his money”

Thanks for sharing!! I really enjoy reading your blog.

  Alex Jul 8, 2011 5:00 AM

About rickshawalas

Us clean and shiny before we leave...

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.