Existing Member?

Thirst for travel It all started to enter a WorldNomads competition. The idea is to share my knowledge about the places I have been or lived with all of you.

DOs and DONTs in Spain

SPAIN | Thursday, 11 August 2011 | Views [11103] | Comments [2]

I always wanted to share my expertise in traveling with people through the web but never had the time or willpower. Lame excuses, I know. However when I saw the Blog your backyard contest I thought: why not?

I am not your usual Spaniard. For starters I have red hair, something not very common here. I have lived in several places around the world such as: London, Paris, New York, Italy...I think for some of them I could write a “Blog your backyard” since I lived there many years. However my home country is Spain and I think I can give some pretty good recommendations to those wanting to discover it.

Don’t come to Spain in a rush

If you are planning to visit the whole Iberian peninsula in 15 days you must be out of your mind. Concentrate in one region and you will really enjoy it and immerse yourself in the culture. Spain is a vast country where you can find hot and wet weather, beaches and mountains, cosmopolitan cities and medieval castles. Decide in advance what you want to get out of your trip and then plan accordingly.

Do go to smaller towns Salamanca's main square

Madrid and Barcelona are both very well and exciting cities but they are in general like any other big city in the world. Over crowded, expensive, touristy, polluted, hectic, full of Mcdonals and Starbucks. Give other cities a chance. Segovia, Avila, Salamanca, Cordoba, Santander, Logroño, Toledo, Palma de Mallorca, etc. They all have great connections with the major cities and they offer not only cultural and architectural wonders but also excellent -cheap places to eat and same shopping experience as any big city.

Don’t come during the summer overcrowded beach in Gran Canaria

Summer season in Spain is high season and apart from the fact that is boiling hot you will have to share all the beautiful places with all the tourists: local and overseas. Not to mention the hike in prices for accommodation and food and the difficulties sometimes in finding lodging and train/plane/bus tickets. August is particularly bad since most businesses are closed for holidays. Another bad point is the children. Schools are closed until September so everywhere you go you will have to share the space with them. Come instead during fall or spring, even winter if you are into winter sports.

Do try to learn some Spanish ahead village old woman

Unfortunately Spaniards are very bad at languages and most people don’t speak or understand a word of English. I’m the exception. If you can learn some phrases or words ahead of your trip it will help enormously. Otherwise take with you a phrasebook or similar. Despite this inconvenience Spanish people are really friendly, specially in small towns and if you are respectful and cheerful they will open their homes and hearts.

Don’t expect vegetarian food in Spain pintxo de foie y huevos con jamon

I cannot stress this one enough! Vegetarians are in for a nasty ride in Spain. This is the country of Jamon and Chorizo, where the pork is king. Don’t get me wrong we have a great choice of vegetables available all year around, thanks to a huge agriculture industry, but we usually cook them as appetizers or side dishes. In major cities the choice is bigger but in any local bar or tasca you will not find tofu. If you still wanna keep your eating habits, bear in mind you will have to stick to salads, dairy products and fruit. Thanks God you always have the wine!

Do come with an open mind papahuevos in Agaete

We are a country full of contrast and cultures. From the northerners with their dry and frank personality to the southerners and their “live life” attitude. We have lots of parties and customs that might seem brutal or strange but that is part of who we are. Come with lots of patience too since sometimes things don’t work precisely here. And more than anything come prepare to party hard!

Ps: sorry about the lack of format in this post. The system does not support my browser and OS. I will try to sort it out soon.

Tags: #blogyourbackyard

Comments

1

Where in Spain do you live? Have you visited any of the Spanish national parks? Can you recommend any of them? I'm also interested in remote & wild beaches, if you know of anything like that. Saludos!

  mike Aug 15, 2011 11:53 PM

2

Hi Mike

I live in the Canary Islands but I was born in Madrid and spent most of my childhood there. Yes I have been to some of the Spanish National Parks and I can recommend you Ordesa in the Pyrenees and Picos de Europa in Asturias region. also Sierra Nevada in the south. Check this website: http://reddeparquesnacionales.mma.es/parques/index.htm

There are so many more. Regarding remote beaches I would say those can be found in the north coast too. Any beach in Galicia, Asturias or Cantabria will be a good choice. I cannot remember any names but if you are renting a car just drive to the coast and look around.

Hope you have fun!

  Lucia Aug 17, 2011 7:25 AM

About redheaded_spaniard


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.