Existing Member?

When you really want something, nothing can stop you.

The Pursuit

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [84] | Scholarship Entry

- BOOONG
- BOOONG
Suddenly that slight little noise I heard far away was far very, very close. I took a few more steps and finally saw it. I did it! I got here! Although I have landed a few hours ago, the penny was not dropped yet. No, it was just somewhere far away from home from where I got a scholarship. It was hard to believe that those distant dreams are now reality.
And how different it was from home. I left my country about 15 hours ago and said goodbye to the intense heat knowing that I would not feel it again for one year. The cheapest way to get to the center was the underground. There were only one detail, or rather, two: my two huge suitcases. Just to give you an idea, imagine how many things a woman needs to spend a year away from home.
Even in the tube it was possible to decode some of the new culture in which I was immersed in. Even full of people, the atmosphere was quiet and peaceful.
As time passed, the graceful houses with very distinctive architecture gave way to bigger and more modern buildings. In the background large buildings and towers contrasting with old and charming buildings. My journey in the tube was over.
I'd be happy if I had not discovered a small obstacle: stairs. Lots of stairs. Why the hell I did not get the train or a taxi? How am I going to take more than 40kg of luggage several staircases to the surface? Honestly, I do not know how I managed. The truth is that many of the people seeing me in that situation helped me without even knowing me. Do you know when you think something is impossible but the goodwill of the people proves otherwise? After several tunnels, I finally felt the breeze from the surface.
I said breeze? I meant rain. Yes my friends, the typical European winter weather. After leaving my stuff in the hostel I could not stand it any longer. Tomorrow I would make a complete itinerary, but the city has something that it’s impossible to wait a whole night to see. The body pain and jet lag are no match for the adventurous spirits!
Soft noises resounded behind some buildings. On the way, the underground signs and phone booths did not pass by unnoticed. The heavy but organized traffic was getting even more intense. And suddenly, in the midst of my memories of the internet and the surprises of reality, I arrived there. A wide smile cames across my face as I contemplated its details. After closing my eyes with a sigh, I turn my back on Big Ben and go towards a new destination: the country around me.

Tags: 2014 travel writing scholarship - euro roadtrip

About pursuit


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.