Existing Member?

It is not all about Machu Picchu

The long horn

PERU | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [280] | Scholarship Entry

Most of the people think immediately about Machu Picchu when They hear about Peru, however I link Peru with a “ wonderful country”.
My friend borrowed to me a hiking backpack for my first travel of volunteer; I took with me all the necessary clothes and stuffs to make my travel an unforgettable one, I wouldn't go to Machu Picchu, but a new adventure will start for me, without mom and dad.
The first place we visited will be the jungle. I thought in snakes, spiders and mosquitoes. We arrived in Bagua, a really beautiful, hot, and exotic city. All around me were so different.
The main square was the biggest one that I´ve never seen in my life, it could be really easy to build a stadium there. In all the four corners there were people selling desserts and exotic food.
HUARO, I didn't know anything about it until I was in a kind of cage that will cross the river through a big gross rope; an abundant and deep river was under us; We were there as if we were paying a type of sentence, that moment was terrifying but funny at the same time. We screamed, laughed and cried… We did everything while we were crossing the river.
“KITAYTERI, KITAYTERI, KITAYTERI” those were the first words we heard from the “ASHANINCAS”.
A man went to a small hill, He took a long horn and a heavy sound started to spread out in the community and everybody left their houses to join us. Are we not in the 21st century? it was awesome, We had cellphones, GPS but THEY USED A HORN!!
Who will drink with me?(someone cried this and took their water bottle), I will drink with you (all the volunteers answered at the same time taking their water bottles), the water is really refreshing all the time, it is really important to have a water bottle with you all the time.
We shared our water bottle with the kids in the community, it was a new flavor for them, They didn't have pure water, They drink contaminated water all the time, it was the first time that they drank potable water in their lifes.
Three unforgettable weeks, a lot of adventures that I will always keep in my heart. I´ll never forget the mint bubble gums, the American chocolate, the peanut butter and Nutella.
Already five year of volunteering helping people, bring medicine, giving speech about values and gifts to the communities of the jungle and highlands in Peru. Sometimes we go from the hottest cities to the coldest cities, from the abundant rivers to the imposing mountain. Always looking for a new adventure and people whom needs help.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About peruforyou


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.