Existing Member?

Drop -Dead-Gorgeous

South Africa hosted 2010 world cup for first time

SOUTH AFRICA | Sunday, 11 May 2014 | Views [209] | Scholarship Entry

I,ll never forget the day that Africa hosted 2010 world cup for the first time.This was Africa's first FIFA world cup and it will live in the memory as much for the spirit and smiles of the nation as for the success of spain team who achieved their own first when adres iniesta's 116th minute winners agalis the Netherlands .putting them into the record books as the eighth country to capture football's most prized crown.
I had to travel to south Africa from Zambia to watch the world cup it was Drop-Dead-Gorgeous. south Africa has an immerse range of opportunities for travellers, whether you're looking for a rugged adventure, a food and win tour or a spiritual experience. staying in south Africa did not require me a visa since was there for less than 90 days.

South Africa encompasses about 68 million people of diverse origins ,culture, languages and religions. South Africa is home to an estimated million illegal immigrants, including some 5 million zimbabweans.

LANGUAGES
South Africa has eleven official languages Afrikaans, English, Ndebele, Northern Sotho, Sotho,Swazi, Tswana, Tsonga, Venda, Xhosa and Zulu. The three most spoken first languages are zulu , Xhosa, and Afrikaans. Despite the face that English is recognised as the language of commerce and science it's ranked fourth.
Largest cities : Soweto, Johannesburg,Pretoria and Durban.

Europe eventually gave us the winners for the first on another continent although Africa could celebrate to. And arguably nobody more than Nelson Mandela ,who delighted the soccer city crowd with his appearance before the final. As FIFA president Joseph .S.Blatter said of the man who played such a pivotal role in creating the modern South Africa.

''This world cup had a special momentum, linked with history of freedom and the history of one man.'' Joseph .S. Blatter on Nelson Mandela.

AFRICAN DISAPPOINTMENT
Ghana's run- which included win over serbia and usa- provided the high point of African achievement. there was disappointmen when carlos Alblert Parrira hosts bowed out despite a victory over france, edged out of the goals of the tournament with it,t very first -siphiwe Tshabalala's searing left-foot strike against maxico. Cote d'ivoire also crushed out with four points but there were fewer consolation for Africa's other representatives, Algeria, cameroon and Nigeria all finishing bottom of their groups.

TEAM :32
WHEN: 11 JUNE 2010 TO 11 JULY 2010
FINAL :11 JULY 2010
MATCHES :64
GOALS SCORED :145

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About mwaiagatha


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.