Existing Member?

Penang Adventure

Penang, oh sweet Penang.

MALAYSIA | Tuesday, 28 April 2015 | Views [162] | Scholarship Entry

Georgetown, Penang,Malaysia. I arrived at 10pm at night. Exhausted from the heat I trudged outside only to find my phone not working. "Damn!" I thought "How am I supposed to know which bus to take? I should have written it down!" Panic began to set it. Knowing that the bus's stopped at 11pm and it was now 10.30pm I really began to sweat.

Finally, I decided to suck up my pride and just ask. I shyly walked over to a fellow sitting down and said "excuse me, do you know which bus I would need to take to get into Georgetown?" He smiled and said "Oh yes! It is coming in five minutes. Sit down and I'll show you which one. I'm taking it myself". Slightly pacified I sat down. He shook my hand and introduced himself as Lee.

Now a note about catching about catching buses in Malaysia. Try to ensure you have the correct change. You don't give it to the driver but rather you slot it into a little metal box and he will give you a little ticket. I boarded with Lee and sat down. Finally he asked me "So why Penang?" I sheepishly told him that in all honesty I heard that Penang was the food capital of this part of Asia so that was more than reason enough for me to visit. He nodded wisely "of course".

Finally we reached Georgetown. He then offered to walk me to my hotel. Panic began to set in again. After winding the streets of Georgetown for five or so minutes several thoughts crossed my mind "This is where I die...or get raped. Or worse". Suddenly we came to a halt.

"Well here it is! Enjoy your stay! Make sure you visit this stall tomorrow for food" Pointing out an empty space then vanished into the night. My thoughts turned to guilt.

Kimberly house is a cheerful hostel with private rooms and shared bathrooms. At only NZ $17 a night I was very pleased with the room and the service. Not too far from all the attractions of Georgetown its a budget travelers dream.

Georgetown is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Without a doubt it is the most photogenic city I have ever visited. This is greatly helped by Lithuanian artist Ernest Zacharevic who has installed several impressive art features around the city.

One of the must try dishes has to be Banana Leaf curry in little India. Presented on plate with no utensils. This dish is an an adventure all on its own. My mouth burned But I soldiered on. Thinking Lee would be proud.

If you have one place to visit in Asia. Make it Georgetown. Its people and tiny alleys full of surprises, art and food will leave you wanting more.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About mei2611


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.