Existing Member?

Comming Back To Australia

Live Where Your Heart Belongs To

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 15 January 2015 | Views [361]

  In life there comes a time when you need to fly away from your nest and start building your life in a different direction. Sometimes, the road to a better life takes you a block away from your mum and dad, and sometimes, it's a whole different continent. This is what happened to my dad when he was my age. He was accepted in a renown London university and flew to the island with no friends and money, enough to pay his first monthly rent. He's life was just in the beginning of a huge adventure he was not aware of. He graduated second in the university with some of the highest grades and got a job in a huge company famous for its amazing employee benefits.

London Old Photo

  Yet, despite of all the amazing opportunities London has offered him, my dad always wanted to go back to his roots. Now, 23 years after his first move, our family is going back to Australia. We flew down to the continent a couple of months ago and fell in love with it all over again. While we were visiting our grandparents a couple of times a/year due to my father's high-payed job, I had never felt I belonged in Australia. Things changed, tho, when I met a new friend over the internet. She was born in Swan Hill and grew up in Healesville, just a couple of kilometers from the city. I have always been a reason for my parents not to take that big step and go back to Australia as I had to finish my education and in general preferred to stay in London. After my meetup with Laura, everything become different. I felt ready to go back to my real home and start my life anew. My father got a nice promotion and opportunity to move back to Down Under. He and my mum were definitely taking this step so I followed them.

 

  I can't say moving was easy. I felt like an expat in my own country, but things were going to change sooner or later. I developed in my own pace, first living with my parents in Melbourne, later on decided to move with Laura in a nice home in Fitzroy. Even though I moved across the world just an year ago, I believed our relocation will be a though process, but fortunately I was recommended to the services of a removal company nearby, which helped a lot with the house clearance. Now, I am proud to say I live where my heart belongs to. My parents are happy to have just bought a large lot in rural Melbourne and are starting their own little farm, something my mum dreamed of for years. My grandparents are excited to have us all under their roof for brunch every single week and we see them as often as we wish to. Things are going just amazing and I want to make a call out to all of your British Australians who are still wondering weather or not you should go back home - don't think no more, just do it! Don't miss out on the breath-taking landscapes, heart-warming people and amazing culture your country has to offer. Give it a chance and I guarantee you that you'll fall in love with it!

Tags: australia, down under, fitzroy, healesville, live, melborne, relocate, swan hill

About mark1st


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.