Existing Member?

Maria's Adventures

Das ist Berlin

GERMANY | Friday, 16 May 2014 | Views [368] | Scholarship Entry

I’ll never forget the day that I woke up in Berlin. It was Saturday, it was 8 am and everybody else was sleeping. And by everybody else I mean almost the entire city. So i got dressed and strolled from the hotel into the streets. I was so excited I even forgot my map at the hotel.


Although I am not a morning person, it was wonderful waking up so early and heading into the street. It was so empty I felt I have the entire city to myself. And since there are two years since I started dreaming about Berlin, I can definitely say that was the beginning of a love story.


After I wandered and took photos, memorised shops for later visits and craved for food, I went back to the hotel to eat and change and went out again. This time with a map. And since I mentioned food, their BBQ pubs are ideal for a gourmand like myself: best duck grill I’ve ever had was here. Their local desserts are also good, but the tasty ones were at an Italian specific restaurant.


I had no rest whatsoever, as I love Berlin for its history and culture, and trust me, it has plenty of both. I had to stop my fast pace walking and return because I saw a wall which carried bullet traces, probably from WW2. I had to walk slowly near walls, especially near Alexanderplatz, because there were a lot of street art works. I had to lose the S-Bahn because I wanted to hear the original sound featured in Paul Kalkbrenner’s “Train”
I had to hurry up to catch the last boat tour, because after 5 o’ clock, it is too dark for boats to provide tours. I had to lose myself to find myself again.
 
In Jude Museum, you can find a symbolical pomegranate tree where you can put a post it carrying your wish. In their religion, they say the pomegranate grants wishes. And I wished I would come back there again. There is plenty other to see in Berlin. And for a person like me, it feels both like home and heaven. I will return. Soon.

Tags: 2014 travel writing scholarship

About mariavlad


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.