Existing Member?

Margaret's Travels

What Did Different Cities Teach Me

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 4 November 2014 | Views [734] | Comments [1]

I just love my childhood. I was born in Perth, Australia, but because of the nature of my father's job we didn't stick there much. To be honest, I don't even remember the place. Some might think that moving around a lot is not good for you, and while it is hard at times, I admit, it gives the young mind different from their peers' perspective on things, and makes them more adaptable and resilient. I guess this is where I thank my father for giving me the opportunity to learn. So, thank you, dad! Here's what moving around taught me:

1. Rome, Italy.

This is where my family moved after Perth. Being the new kid on the block was definitely stressful, I can tell you that. But being a child in a completely new environment, you learn how to rely on yourself for everything that really matters. Three years after we moved to Rome we were off to the next adventure/life lesson.

2. Mumbai, India.

These is when I experienced the real culture shock. But when you're a child you learn to adapt quicker than adults, and quite well, if I might add. India with all its wonders taught me to be open-minded and go beyond my comfort zone, both of which are qualities that helped me immensely later on in life. After a year and a half, we went back to the motherland.

3. Sydney, Australia.

By the time we moved to Sydney I was aware that moving around was something normal for us. I also realised that cleaning up and packing was really important. Having to move your whole life enables you to differentiate between what's really important and worth keeping. Note: I'm not talking only about the material things here. After only a year in Australia we moved to London.

4. London, United Kingdom.

Having changes scenery so often made me very confident in myself. So adapting to the pace of London and making new friends there was really not a problem. The new city taught me to immerse myself in the new culture and live like I am an integral part of it, not just a tourist. I also learned to pursue my goals and be fully dedicated to what I do. After four years in England it was time to move on.

5. New York, USA.

We moved there in early 2001. About six months after, 9/11 happened. Living through an event of such magnitude really gives you a perspective on life. I remember feeling scared, but slowly I learned to overcome fear and don't let it guide my actions and define who I am.

There are times when you definitely feel alone and lost, but at the end of the day I am really glad to have had the opportunity to meet so many amazing people and to have made so many great memories all over the world. I honestly wouldn't trade my childhood for anything. I now live in Australia with my children and we constantly travel the country. Our motto: "You have to journey the homeland to truly love it".

Tags: australia, childhood travel, italy, new york, on the road, sydney, travel, travel stories, world tour

Comments

1

Lucky you! Cannot imagine better childhood to raise open-minded, kind person than showing him/her a beauty of diversity.

  ephemeral Jun 9, 2015 5:25 PM

About margaretsw


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.