Existing Member?

An Awfully Big Advenure “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and celebrate the journey.” – Fitzhugh Mullan

Dar Zerhoune

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 3 August 2015 | Views [200]

Off to Rose's place! We took the long way to Moulay Idriss courtesy of Rose's regular driver, Hammad. What beautiful countryside! It was a very wet winter in those parts so everything was so green and lush; the views were stunning. We finally got to Rose's guesthouse, Dar Zerhoune - what a beautiful place! Four floors, two terraces, lounge area and stunning views! It's just so peaceful relaxing on the rooftop terrace enjoying mint tea and divine cookies and taking in the scenery. If you ever head to Morocco, you must stay here - http://www.darzerhoune.com/

After settling in and enjoying some downtime, we headed off to Rose's friend's place for dinner. More wonderful views, delicious dinner and fabulous company. I could get used to this! 

Now there is quite a lot to see in Moulay Idriss but fatigue kicked in so I took advantage of the incredible terrace at Rose's place and chilled out for the day. One of the best events of the day was having henna done on my hand and leg. The lady that did it was so talented and fast! There were two lovely spanish guests at the house so they had it done too. It felt quite glamourous actually :-)

That evening was couscous night and boy was there a lot! Friday is couscous day (Muslim holy day) so traditionally that is the only day it is made - apart from special ocsasions - and they certainly make the most of it! So.Much.Food! Delicious! 

Saturday saw us wandering up to the terrace in the morning, being served breakfast and marvelling at the Moroccan countryside. This is relaxing! One of the services available at Dar Zerhoune is a bake your own afternoon tea session so of course we had to do that! With Koutar (one of the Moroccan ladies who works at the guesthouse), we made cookies, bread and this delicious scroll-type bread, Malawi I think it was called. Now most places don't have their own oven so there are community ovens everyone takes their baking to. What an great system. It's basically a huge pizza oven with coal and wood. No idea how they control temperature they just seem to know how long to put each thing in for. We dropped everything in and picked it all up a while later. Pretty damn good if I do say so myself! The theme over here seems to be SO MUCH FOOD! We had to share it and still had enough to take with us on our train journey the next day.

What a fantastic few days, thank you Rose xx

 

About marciekiwi


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.