Existing Member?

travel thoughts for just a few of ya

Amsterdam and then onto Istanbul

TURKEY | Friday, 26 September 2014 | Views [133] | Comments [2]

I spent time writing a note from the airport in Amsterdam as we were waiting to board the plane but somehow it does not seem to be on it. Suffice it to say that I was complaining about what I thought were loud Texans but instead turned out to be from Kentucky.  Either way they were very nice but completely oblivious to the impact they were having on the people all around them.  When they started talking Bill O'Reilly I just had to politely move away........

We arrived in Amsterdam at the hotel at the airport (very handy!) around 7pm so Linda and I took off to take the train from the airport into the city (again- very handy!).  It was about a 15 min ride and we had fun exploring the area near the train station full of alleys (colorul ahem!) and tourists from all over the world.  We ended up getting a drink at a bar named "Busters" which was small and personable and very cheap.  The guy working speaks over 12 languages and has lived all over the world- a fact that continues to fill me both with awe and envy.  

Great people watching everywhere! Amsterdam was full of languages from all over the world and the airport was as well.

We arrived at our gate this morning and seemed to be in great time.  We wondered about security- turns out it was at the actual gate which was a different dynamic.  While waiting in the secured waiting area Mom began "chatting up" a man returning to Turkey for a family reunion after living in Dallas the last few years.  Sensing a theme here?He was very very nice and extoled the virtues of Raku- the native Turkish drink.

Flight was blessedly uneventful and we were met at the airport by the tour crew.  We waited a few minutes for the next group who turned out to be Sarah, Patsy and Mimi from Vermont.  They are in their 70's maybe, have identical haircuts, are very funny and friendly, laughed at Sarah Palin right off the bat and have lived together the last 40 years.  We all hit it off right away and I am suggesting to Mom that maybe she can hang out with them tomorrow when Linda and I go with a photography guy around town for an informal photo tour.

The 45 min ride into Istanbul was wonderful and the driver was incredible navigating amazing traffic situations.  We came in and drove the highway along the water and there were parks and beaches most of the way.  Could not quit looking around- music shops (with pink guitars even!), packed sidewalks and shops all along the way.  Saw a woman carrying a baby down the middle of the road asking for money as the traffic stopped.  Saw a little girl selling flowers between the lanes and a motorcyle come to a quick stop as it sped between the cars until it almost hit her.  Saw every kind of "taksi" you can imagine and busses filled with people going home from work and cutting across traffic.  Had no idea Istanbul was so bit and so packed full of people and things.

We arrived at the beautiful hotel "divan" where I am sitting right now wiaiting for my second glass of wine and hoping that my hour of internet does not expire before I finish this (so slow it has taken forever).  Met with our tour guide and staff- they are lovely then went to work out in the absolutely gorgeous spa and fitness center  before I had dinner outside on the lighted patio with horns honking and busses going by.  If I can figure out how I will put pictures on here.  When we came in Linda noticed them running a scanner under our bus/ van obviously checking for bombs. We then entered this lovely elegant motel via a security scanner- which is all well and good but a reminder of how the world is changing. 

Mom and Linda ate earlier and were curled up in their beds- Linda trying to convince mom to turn off CNN and find something happy.  When I left they were watching 2 1/2 men......

Photo tour after breakfast in the morning and then I hope to work out again before a  welcome reception and then a walk to dinner tomorrow night.  If everyone is as fun as the three women we met today should be a great time!

Good night!

Comments

1

Glad you are over the initial hassle of getting out of Seattle a little later than expected... LOVE LOVE LOVE Amsterdam - one of my favorite cities! I need to go back there someday... Turkey sounds so interesting and exciting (in spite of the perceived dangers - I think they are just more aware of what can actually happen to them) and can't wait to hear the rest of your adventures!

  Angela Sep 26, 2014 5:19 AM

2

yes ... but more about the smells, please!!! I can absolutely picture it all, and am also in awe/envy of the very well travelled! Thank you, my friend, for sharing this adventure!

  Claire Sep 28, 2014 8:46 AM

About lkkd


Follow Me



 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.