Existing Member?

On the road again

Palawan-about Larry, Ken and Rabbit

TAIWAN | Thursday, 8 January 2009 | Views [1172] | Comments [1]

I thought it would be helpful if you knew a little more about the 3 of us, so you will understand some of the thoughts and decisions that went into making this a reality.

Larry Nixon, married with 3 daughters and has lived a travelling sort of life since 1970 when he first went overseas with brother Ken at 21. Since then he has hitch hiked in the dead of winter from Amsterdam to Istanbul, worked in a kibbutz in Israel, raced motorcycles in UK, worked as deckhand on a luxury 130 foot staysail schooner called Orejona based in San Antonio, near Ibiza, raced motorcycles in Australia, built a 36 foot ketch in Melbourne, worked for over 3 years in Papua New Guinea surviving 2 armed holdups, moved to Perth for 5 years, then to Auckland in New Zealand for 6 months, a short period in Melbourne before moving with his wife and 3 daughters to Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia for 2 years, the longest period in the same house of almost 7 years in Melbourne before coming to Taipei in 2007 where they are still based. Larry is 59.

Ken Nixon-married with 1 daughter. Ken started his adventure travel life as a national seviceman with the Australian army in 1968 and saw active service in Vienam for 12 months in 1969. He then travelled with Larry from 1970 and also did the Istanbul/Israel trip but then fell in love and went to US for a year, rejoined Larry in Spain and worked on  yacht Orejona briefly before returning to Melbourne in 1973 where he built up a successful motorcycle business from scratch before selling and moving to the Yea property he shares with his wife in 2007. He was born in 1947 which gives an indication of his age. 

Rabbit Holland. Rabbit (his real name) is an absolute 40 something legend currently living in Sydney. He has lived in Melbourne before moving to Sydney, loves all things related to motorcycles, scuba diving and sailing. He first travelled with Larry and Ken in 2006 when they completed an awesome dirt bike ride from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap via the trails of Cambodia. Apart from an unpleasant encounter with an agressive flesh eating bateria which threatened his arm and kept him in a Bangkok hospital for weeks, Rabbit is back for more! Rabbit is a big man who likes travelling heavy so it will be interesting to see how he manages to fit himself and various travel bags into a local unaircon Philippino bus and small dangerous banca boat.

Tags: adventure travel, beaches, on the road, scuba diving

Comments

1

Sure to be another fun trip.
Looking forward to reading about it.
Say G'day to Rabbit.
dc

  Duncan Jan 13, 2009 10:11 AM

About larry_the_travel_guide


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Taiwan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.