Existing Member?

A Tassie Travels

Tassie Trip to Mt. Field National Park, Tasmania, Australia

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 18 August 2015 | Views [427]

Lake Dobson

Lake Dobson

My Tassie adventures really began when we purchased our Kombi van. Once we set it up for its first ever Tasmanian expedition, we jumped eagerly behind the wheel and drove just a couple of hours from the city to Mt. Field, National Park.

The views from the road before we even reached our destination were pretty special. Think small Tassie vineyards and fields of poppies in bloom. When we reached our destination we payed for our little unpowered campsite and set up the picnic table and chairs for a hot lunch.

After getting fed, we head out on one of the many trails just off the campsite grounds. There were a bunch of walks to choose from, from easy 20 minute strolls to long mountain climbs. There were a lot of stairs on the road we chose but they make it clear what you’re getting into before you head off.

 

Definitely one of the best walks I’ve ever been on, we trekked through lush rainforest, dense with wildlife, including a very friendly echidna that was feeding just inches from our feet. The trees are completely awe-inspiring as they’re some of the tallest in the world.

Preparing for the night we cooked up another hot meal, upon returning to the campgrounds. There were enough facilities available to get nice and comfy in the park but unfortunately for us, in the Summer heat we didn’t realise just how freezing it would be of a night. I’ll definitely be packing warmer next time. (Yes there will be a next time).

Before heading home, the next morning we took a leisurely 20 minute stroll, through more forest to reach Russell Falls. The falls were magic and if that wasn’t wonderful enough the view from Lake Dobson Road at the lookout up to Lake Dobson itself is breathtaking.

russell falls

Just a short drive up the mountain (if the Kombi can do it, just about anything can in the warmer months, when it’s not snowed over), is Lake Dobson, one of the most picturesque views I’ve ever experienced in my life. The water is clear and if you’re lucky, you’ll spot some platypus either here or on the trail to Russell Falls.

 

As this beautiful spot is so close to Hobart, I think I’ll be heading back there many times. Perfect for a quick weekend escape out of the city.

 

Tags: australia, lake dobson, national park, tasmania

About kirstygirl

Lake Dobson Road Lookout

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.