Existing Member?

One passport, one bag, one great adventure...

First major tourist adventure

THAILAND | Friday, 13 January 2012 | Views [1604] | Comments [2]

Hi everyone. Today is day 3 in Bangkok and the day I meet up with my tour. Having taken the first day and a half to become familiar to the area around my hostel (how to use the skytrain, get to the post office and mbk, a major shopping centre), yesterday I went on my first major adventure.

I took a tour from the hostel will a guy from australia and a girl from England to the Floating Markets, the bridge over the river kwai, and the Tiger Temple.

We hopped into a van at 6:30 am and started the 3 hour drive to the Floating Markets, picking people up along the way. When reaching the market we transfered to a river boat (somewhat like a gondola) and were shuttled around the markets. It was chaos! Vendors would hook your boat and pull you to their stall. It was a great opportunity to practice my bartering skills.

What did I buy at the floating markets? A bag and shoes of course!!! The lady wanted 1800 bahts for the shoes, but I managed to get them for 500 (roughly $15 canadian).

After the floating markets we headed to the Bridge over the River Kwai, a bridge built during the Japanese occupation of Thailand in WWII.

After spending a short time at the bridge we borded the van and began the 2 hours journey to the Tiger Temple. On arrival he began hiking into the monastery. As well as a monastery, the area serves as a Tiger Conservation area, education and rehabilitation centre. The Temple rescues tigers. Many are raised by the monks, which allows them to be familiar with humans and allow for pictures. Don't worry they are not drugged! Tigers sleep appox. 18 hours/day.

In the Tiger Canyon at the Temple, 2 employees bring you around to each tiger, one taking photos and the other making sure the tiger doesn't eat you!

After the tiger temple, we headed back to Bangkok, and arrived back at the hostel at 830pm completely exhausted.

My tour starts today, so not sure when I'll have the next opportunity to write. Tomorrow we head to Cambodia and Angkor Wat. Looking forward to it.

Tags: on the road, temple, tour

Comments

1

That picture is incredible Kendra! Thanks for sharing....keep em coming.
Lindsay

  Lindsay Jan 17, 2012 5:54 AM

2

You look so mini compared to that tiger. Jeeeze!!

  Monika Jan 17, 2012 8:03 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.