Existing Member?

Revolution All Around: Documenting Israeli Identity in 2011 'Documenting my Documentation' (try saying that five times fast.)

One night and day in the Sderot tent city

USA | Friday, 12 August 2011 | Views [576]

"To Israel"---from the artist

To sum up the first of my protest adventures, I'd call it a great success! I arrived last night knowing one person there (and by know, I mean, I knew her name and that she knew some English and that she could introduce me to other people.) Within three minutes, I was on my own. I started talking to a group of about three people, which over the course of 45 minutes turned into me moderating a debate with about 12 people participating. It was both incredibly intimidating and incredibly fun. 

After that, I ended up taking about 5 people aside and interviewing them by themselves and in pairs more in depth--I wanted the protests be represented by real people; and to understand the Zeitgeist of the youth.

The few I talked to at length have been so helpful to me. One young woman invited to stay with her family in Arad, while a journalism student offered to keep an eye out for jobs working for various international papers--and he didn't just say this, but actually sent me an email this morning reaffirming this. Another guy (a 28 year old basketball coach) told me he'd try and get me in touch with with one of the head organizers of THE ENTIRE THING. And you know what? He called me about an hour ago, gave me the guy's number and told me that he can get me a tent tonight (which I politely declined) and that if I can get to Rishon tomorrow morning, he can pick me up and get me to Rehovot where the organizers are meeting. I still need to call the person in charge of the protests, but apparently, if I tell him I'm a Master's Student and that I know Uri (the basketball coach) I might be able to sit in on the meeting and maybe, just maybe, ask questions. Wow.

I'll let you all know how that goes and if it pans out, but even if it doesn't I'm still going to Tel Aviv tomorrow afternoon, Gan Yavne tomorrow evening, and Be'ersheba Saturday for the largest rally yet (or so everyone hopes.)  This is turning out to be, pardon my french, fucking incredible.

Speaking of Be'ersheba, I spent part of today out at the Sderot camp painting signs for the protest representing all of the local Kibbutzim (different Kibbutzes.) It was really great just being able to spend a few hours hanging out, drinking coffee, eating patries, and painting with this really nice group of people. I felt so welcome and like I fit in---which is saying a lot for being in the Middle East.

L'Chaim!

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.