Existing Member?

UK Italy Germany 2014

Return to Hotel Hainstein, Stephan Blezinger visit

GERMANY | Thursday, 31 July 2014 | Views [369] | Comments [1]

View of Wartburg from Haus Hainstein

View of Wartburg from Haus Hainstein

On Thursday, Richard had a 2pm appointment to meet Stephan Blezinger, an excellent recorder maker in Eisenach, to arrange for some repairs. Richard is the lucky owner of one of his intruments. We took the opportunity to revisit Haus Hainstein for coffee AND lunch on the terrace below our former room, also with the amazing views of the fairytale Wartburg castle. On this clear sunny day we saw it with no mist in the valleys, with water trickling beside us in the garden fountain, the place to ourselves. Heaven! The food was outstanding - I had a delectable cold melon soup with kiwi fruit and cream, Richard had local Thuringian sausages and sauerkraut.

In the afternoon as we entered the workshop we were greeted with a wonderfully pervasive aroma of natural wood. After Stephan had dealt with a couple of unexpected visitors from afar while we looked around, he kindly showed us all around his little workshops. Richard tried lots of his beautiful recorders of all types and sizes. Standing up against the wall he had a large solid branch of untreated English boxwood, but he showed us how, because of the small cracks and knots in it, he would collect enough wood for only two descant recorders from it. Such is the lot of a recorder maker. We left two David Coomber recorders with him, one to have a crack repaired, and both for revoicing/cleaning. He promised to do this then send them back to London in time for our return to Oz next week.  

  

Comments

1

Hi Joan

We are enjoying reading your blog. (If you could extend your trip by a few months, we could continue enjoying all the history and musical anecdotes?) Eisenach and Arnstadt are wonderful places. Cheers to Richard.

Deborah

  Deborah Munro Aug 11, 2014 1:46 PM

About joanimil


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.