Existing Member?

Travel Journal

My Video scholarship 2010 entry

WORLDWIDE | Friday, 23 July 2010 | Views [1131] | Scholarship Entry

I wandered away from the group tour, because that is when you always find the authentic story.  I've always been fascinated by Cuba, but I've also found my fascination to be influenced by an overly romanticized view of the country.  So, I was on a mission to see the "not for tourists" version of Havana, Cuba.  My subject told me several times that if he was caught giving me this tour, they would arrest us and throw us in jail.  So, we had to be on the lookout for police.  The tour was unplanned, really.  We just wanted to see the "real" Cuba.  And if it meant being in danger, so be it.  As a documentary filmmaker, it is essential that one possess an overriding fearlessness, a courage to tell stories that have not been told before, and go where others have not gone.  My ambitions as a documentary filmmaker are rooted in the above statement, and I plan to carry out these ambitions with the highest degree of integrity, compassion, and sensitivity - always. 


Tags: 2010 travel video scholarship

About jmj


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.