Existing Member?

Finding Home, Finding Me.

Time for Some Dirt in the Tent

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 24 May 2014 | Views [327]

Camping has become a lost art among the youngest generation. No, I’m not talking about “Glamping” – the glamorised version of camping for those who don’t want to leave modern civilisation and technology behind. I’m talking about good old fashioned dirt in your tent, midge in your Heinz soup camping. With families becoming busier and the yearly getaway to an exotic destination becoming more desirable, the traditional Australian camping trip is fast becoming obsolete. It had been four years since my last camping trip and I was more than itching to reconnect with my childhood memories when my dad suggested Inskip Point.

Eskie, tent, tent poles (believe me we have forgotten them before), fishing rods, lawn chairs, beer. There’s probably a lot more that comes to mind when packing for a two day beach getaway but I’ve only labelled the essentials. And yes, beer does count because it is only on the camping trip where it is acceptable to drink alcohol with breakfast.

With the sites at Inskip less than a hundred metres away from the ocean, the waves’ roar calls to you day and night. Strapping on a bikini first thing in the morning and slopping on some sunscreen if you can remember, it is quite easy to remain on the beach as the hours slip quietly by. Chuck in a fishing rod, a full packet of prawns for bait and a couple of Corona’s you can be there from dusk to dawn. The magic thing about camping is that although you might not know where the time has gone, your skin does and becomes as pink as the marshmallows you toast in the campfire.

Sure, drop toilets, fishing and the odd hundred mosquitos aren’t everyone’s cup of tea, but it is one of the best ways to escape the stress of everyday household and work stress. Inskip Point provides the perfect out-of-the-way experience with the closest township being Rainbow Beach – a thirty minute car ride away. Keep this in mind if you are looking for that sacred spot of sand to call sanctuary for a couple of days and remember to pre-plan. Four wheel drives are the best way to avoid being bogged in the soft dunal sand and make sure to purchase your permit, either online or by the ranger’s station.

 The humble camping trip is sure to be the best way to a weekend getaway if you are looking to escape the business of the city and want a change from the resort lifestyle. It is a great way to reconnect with your inner self or celebrate an occasion with your mates. In any case, I highly recommend stepping out of your comfort zone and taking a new approach to your holiday.

Tags: beaches, camping, fishing, fourwheeldrive, inskip point

About jenjung55


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.