Existing Member?

J-Baes explore Thailand

Post Second-Breakfast Adventures

THAILAND | Saturday, 4 July 2015 | Views [203]

Today was such a great, relaxing day. Once our second breakfast had partially digested and we had changed into our togs (which beautifully displayed our massive food babies) we strolled on down to the pool that goes around and in and out of the entire resort. We also met the resident cat who we have seen on multiple occasions, as he was strutting down the walkway and stopped and begged me to pat him. After I had sufficiently scratched his/her (?) ears and my legs were used as a massage pole, I sanitised my hands and prayed that I hadn't caught fleas or mad cat disease. Really cute cat so I suppose infections are worth it.
We stayed by the pool for most of the day, floating and swimming and lazing on the blow up toys, and taking photos on my underwater camera of all the beautiful things. We got a complimentary beach bag and towels which we put on a group of sun lounges to claim them as our own, and when we got out of the pool we saw that the towels had been laid out for us by the little fairies of workers here. They are honestly so beautiful, helpful, and respectful, and try so hard to understand you and make you happy. There smiles are incredibly infectious, and you find yourself walking around beaming at everyone.

Beside the pool there is a swim up bar (I KNOW, oh my god) which I floated over to and ordered a fruity smoothie which came so beautifully in a massive cocktail glass with pineapple on the side and a skewer with lemon and cherry. So refreshing. BTW the only reason it wasn't alcoholic was because it was before midday (also I was genuinely dehydrated from being out in the sun). Even though we lathered ourselves up with water resistant, spf50 sunblock, we still managed to get red faces... Good way to start the holiday! While I was at the bar though, I learnt some very important information. Happy hour is between 4 and 5 and cocktails are half price (this brings them down to a ridiculous 100baht, about $4... Gonna return an alcoholic). So we got sufficiently excited about happy hour, but as we were exhausted from being in the sun and swimming all day, we retired to our air conditioned comfort and bigger-than-king bed until it was time to enjoy the cheap, delicious alcohols.

However, I didn't have a fun, relaxing time in this down-time. My tummy had been grumbling for the past hour, and I started breaking out in sweats in the ice cold aircon. This was all just as we were preparing for happy hour at about 3.50, so when I told Jake I didn't think I was up to going down to the bar, let alone having alcohol, he was understandably devastated. As he helped me stagger to the bathroom and stroked my back as I leant over the bowl, I banished him outside and proceeded to empty out my entire bowel and stomach. Immediately I thought, "Shit (no pun intended) I've got Bali Belly on the first day of the holiday" as I distinctly remembered brushing my teeth with the tap water and not the bottled water they so kindly placed right beside the bathroom sink. After about 20 incredibly unpleasant minutes, and complaining to my parents on iMessage, I felt way better. So much so that I got dressed, put on makeup, and told Jake we were going to enjoy our happy hour!

I was just going to order juice and see if I kept it down/in, but the cheap cocktails were too enticing. There was one that combined 3 of my favourite alcohols, sambuca, malibu and cointreau. Dayum, yes please! Jake got the Zero.5 cocktail because it had the most kinds of alcohol in it (vodka, gin, white rum, dark rum, maybe tequila and grenadine and some juices). It came out in a very feminine glass (was also pink) with a cherry and a straw, ooh la la Jakey. Then there was mine. I didn't read/register the fact that there were no other ingredients listed other than the spirits, so I literally got a massive shot glass that had a shot each of Cointreau, Malibu and Sambuca. You can tell who wears the pants, clearly. It was so strong but probably the best drink I've ever had in my life. Iicorice?) Very warming. Suffice to say I was pretty off my face after that (also hadn't eaten since second breakfast. As a part of our accommodation package we get two free "Selfie Haven" cocktails which is pineapple and rum, usually served in a whole pineapple (looks totally rad). We figured we may as well save our free one and order half price ones during the happy hour, so we both got one. They must have ran out of pineapples because it was just served in a big cocktail glass, but damn it was good. We finished at 5 on the dot and figured it was too early for dinner, so we went back to chill in the room.

We jumped on the bed and turned on the TV and one of my all time favourite movies was playing. MULAN! In my "mildly" intoxicated state I got incredibly excited and started acting/singing all of the songs with great enthusiasm (Jake filmed me and won't let me delete it) and reminded him every single time Mushu came on the screen that I played him in grade 7. We watched the whole thing, and by that time it was well and truly passed food o'clock. Jake waited while I danced and sung to the credit song (True to your Heart), and we went back to the restaurant slightly more sober than when we left it. Reading the menu we both picked the same thing at the same time (awks) and decided we would share it and try something else as well. We picked a spicy cashew noodle stir fry, which turned out to be amazing but nothing compared to our chosen dish. It was rice stir fried with a beautiful sauce, chicken, prawns, fresh veges, pineapple and raisins, SERVED IN A PINEAPPLE! I can't even describe how cool it was. They had laid it down and cut the top side open so it was like a long, oval bowl, which you could eat the insides of once you'd finished the main course. Going down as one of the best meals I've had, and I definitely didn't want to share. Guess Jake's lucky I love him.

There's a TV in the restaurant and just as we finished we saw that Need for Speed was on in 5 minutes, so we hastily called for the cheque and ran back to the room to watch it (neither of us had seen it). Apparently it was very good, but I wouldn't know. I crashed out about 5 minutes in, after I'd remarked "Oh that's the guy from "Breaking Bad" and set the alarm for 6am so we were prepared for our bike ride to the waterfall. I slept right through until the sweet tunes of the iPhone alarm woke me up.

Guess all the fun activities wore me out.

About jadesjourney


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.