Existing Member?

My motto - Anywhere Hablas espanol?

Bahias de Huatulco

MEXICO | Saturday, 5 May 2012 | Views [399]


Ok, its time to be honest here. I have been living in Mexico for 10 months now. I started this journal a bit late didn't I? Well, that is only because I didn't know it existed! I plan to start writing a little bit of my travels across this part of the world before I go home and then will use it for future trips as well. Bear with me people!

So, what does one do when living for one year in a small beachside town in Oaxaca state Mexico? Well, my first problem was learning how to pronounce 'Huatulco' and 'Oaxaca'. Not knowing any Spanish before landing here was a big disadvantage. Thank goodness there are good people in the world and my new Mexican friends were able to help me out there.

So, 10 months down the line with only 8 weeks left until I board a plane headed for England (well, actually its a complicated journey from here so I will board a plane headed for Houston, USA then New York and then and only then ENGLAND!) what do I have to tell you? I have to say the proximity to the beach does kind of take any surprise out of the answer. I'm just a few minutes walk from Chahue (also a bit tricky to work out how to say!) and the waves there are quite large with strong undercurrents. That means good swimming if you can swim and potential death if you can't. Fortunately I can swim. Also, volleyball every Sunday at 5pm.

The town itself is so much nicer than the rest of this coast. There is a lot of work that goes into keeping it clean and despite the fact that we have seen no precipitation of any kind for a good 6 months now the trees and public areas are watered regularly so the area still looks vaguely green. Coming from an area of the world where it rains every day this has been surprisingly easy to adjust to!

The main advantage here is the cinema. I LOVE going to the cinema. Ok, so its small and has only 4 screens which tend to black out suddenly part way through a film or the sound goes a bit funny in places. I still love it. It costs only 50 pesos (about £2.50 - bargain!) and on Wednesday there is a general 2 for 1 policy to all films. Most Wednesdays evenings are spent here.


The food is good as well. I am finally beginning to adjust to Mexican food and I have 2 favourite places to eat. These are known to me by the food they serve. At lunch we go to 'the sopes place' and in the evening 'the fish tacos place'. Both incredibly cheap eats and really good food. Bonus is that they have never made me ill! Not one parasite has managed to live inside of me after eating at these places!

Hopefully I will fill in the details on my travels to Guatemala, Acapulco, Tuxtla, San Cristobal and Queretaro. A story for each place I guess.

 

About intrepidexplorer


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.