Existing Member?

Hanna Butler Journeys

My holy trinity

MALAYSIA | Monday, 2 July 2012 | Views [1744]

The final part of my journey is about something vitally important to me. No matter where in the world I go, I do it at least three times a day, sometimes more. It is probably one of my favourite things to do when travelling and at home. When I am at home I can even just travel somewhere by doing it. It’s eating, obviously.  And now while in Malaysia, I am eating, travelling and writing about it. That’s like my holy trinity, right there.

It started out pretty rustic last night on my arrival. Off the plane and onto the streets in search of food and in Malaysia you don’t have to go far. It wasn’t what I was expecting, but at nearly midnight a Bro Burger and a milkshake off the street was just what I wanted. Quick, hot, cheap and good.

My guide for my culinary tour of Malaysia is Cho, ex Malaysia local and Burmese cookbook author, who really stepped up my Bro Burger experience by arranging a cooking demonstration at fine dining restaurant Enak. The chef mistook my blonde hair and pale skin as a sign of aversion to chilli and spice, and the slow cook beef rendang just didn’t hit the hot spot.

Malaysians love their food, but one local who gets pretty excited about what she eats is food blogger Meena. Leaving upmarket restaurants behind us, we head uptown for the smokey hawker streets of Kuala Lumpur.

Chicken wings and satay arrive, and leave our plates for our mouths. Bones and skewers stack up as a sign that we need to move onto the next street side stall. Stingray, sea snails, squid are next. The table quietens and loudens as we suck the snails to get them out. In the middle of mouthfuls we talk about food, and the best meals we have had around the world.

I love travel, food and writing, but just like any meal there is a recipe for putting them together.  The challenge for me while I am here is learning how to write about food, in a non-cheesy way. Terrible joke I know. 

About hanna


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.