Existing Member?

Hanna Butler Journeys

Nisha

SINGAPORE | Monday, 25 June 2012 | Views [1946]

I met Nisha on my last night in Singapore. She is 7 years old and her father tells me her favourite thing to do is talk. I realised this when I sat down and she asked me if I would like to borrow her umbrella, where I was from and what I would like to order.  Nisha sat down at the table with me and screamed my order to the kitchen.

Nisha like most people in Singapore has a migrant story. Her father came from South India nearly twenty years ago in search of work, so he could save to have a family and give them a better life than he could in India.

I shocked Nisha by started to speak to her with the basic Tamil words that I know. She looked at me, and looked at me again. “Tamil terima?” I repeated it, “Do you speak Tamil?”  She dropped her umbrella and asked me if I was Tamil. I replied, no, but in Tamil. And she screamed and laughed and told me she had never met a white Tamil person before.

She noticed my bra from under my sleeve and raised her eyes. I asked her if she had one too. Putting her hands on her chest and rolling her eyes, she exclaimed “No, I am just a baby!”  

Meeting people like Nisha is what makes me travel. It is hard to explain, but for me it is just the simple interactions and conversations that I love the most. I left her father’s restaurant full of greasy paratha and feeling lighter and happier,  and slightly sad about leaving Singapore. 

I will be adding more stories, particularly a behind the scenes interview with Rough Guide author Richard Lim. 

About hanna


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.