Existing Member?

Sweet Home Guatemala My experience volunteering and reporting in Antigua -Guatemala.

Construction

GUATEMALA | Monday, 25 May 2009 | Views [1056]

I am in the shuttle with other volunteers. Across the front torn glass, under the rear-view mirror adorned by a small peach of plastic, I see how we approach to San Andrés Itzapa, there appears the advertising of the candidates for mayor of 2008 election in the walls, the men loading on his backs several kilos of fuelwood, helped by a few strips of leather, the children walking to school and women with her indigenous dresses.

 A different outfit from the one that uses Carolina. She dresses jeans, vest and soon she will put on an apron and worker's gloves. This week I will help to build an environmentally efficient stove in a community house. Then she will say to me that this cloth is only for work, but that she prefers the Mayan blouses that make her look as a royal turkey. She is 25 years old, this year she recieved her professionnal title in money administration and she is forming her own office, but since she was a girl, she got charmed by construction. Her father is a bricklayer and she accompany him to help in the work. Her husband is also a builder, and he designed these stoves and began building them. She insisted on learning and though his father said to her that she is crazy, after a small while watching her work I realize that she has a formidable skill.

We work at Edy's house, one of the children whom I taught last week, occasionally he observes us silently. His house is not the only one of the area, there are other two more that will share the stove, actually they use a small kitchen that emits enormous quantities of smoke, the smell is metallic and exhausting.

I cut bricks and mix cement close to the hens and chickens, Edy’s mother is happy, buys us a drink and smiles to us with her teeth decorated with golden letters. We thank her and sit down with Carolina to rest for a while. It is incredible how the stove is taking shape, where there was nothing, now there are solid bases of stone. I remember the ruins. I see the children and think in my week as a teacher and hope that these bases are really solid, I really hope it.

Spanish:

Construcción

 Estoy en el shuttle con los otros voluntarios. A través del vidrio delantero trizado, bajo el espejo retrovisor adornado por un durazno de plástico, veo cómo nos acercamos a San Andrés Itzapa, aparece la publicidad de los candidatos a alcalde para el 2008 en las paredes, los hombres cargando en sus espaldas varios kilos de leña ayudados por unas tiras de cuero, los niños camino al colegio y las mujeres con sus vestidos indígenas. Un atuendo diferente al que usa Carolina. Ella lleva jeans, camiseta y pronto se pondrá un delantal y guantes de obrero. Esta semana la ayudaré a fabricar una estufa medioambientalmente eficiente en una casa de la comunidad. Luego me dirá que esa es sólo su ropa de trabajo, pero que prefiere las blusas mayas que la hacen ver como un pavo real. Ella tiene 25 años, este año se titulo de contadora y está formando su propia oficina, pero desde niña le encanta la construcción. Su padre es albañil y ella lo acompañaba para ayudarla en su trabajo. Su marido también es constructor y fue quién ideó estas estufas, al comienzo las fabricaba él. Ella insistió en aprender y aunque su padre le dice que está loca, al poco rato de trabajar con ella me doy cuenta de que tiene una habilidad formidable. Trabajamos en la casa de Edy, uno de los niños a los que enseñé la semana pasada, de vez en cuando se pasea y nos observa en silencio. Su casa no es la única del terreno, hay otras dos más que compartirán la estufa, por ahora utilizan una cocinilla que emite enormes cantidades de humo, el olor es metálico y agotador. Corto ladrillos y mezclo cemento junto a las gallinas y pollos, la madre de Edy está feliz, nos compra una bebida y nos sonríe con sus dientes decorados con letras doradas. Le agradecemos con Carolina y nos sentamos un rato a descansar. Es increíble como la estufa va tomando forma, donde no había nada, ahora hay bases sólidas de piedra. Recuerdo las ruinas. Veo a los niños, pienso en mi semana como profesor y espero que estas bases sean realmente sólidas, de verdad que lo espero.

About enrique_nunez_mussa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.