Existing Member?

Continental Collision

Journey to the East

MALAYSIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [208] | Scholarship Entry

There are some moments in life that stand apart from others, when we live these moments they are engraved onto our souls and etched into our memories, we carry them with us and eventually they become part of who we are...
As I stepped off the bus, I remember the way the heat seemed to rise up from the tarmac, creeping gently through the soles of my shoes as I walked, the air still and hot smelt faintly of sweet ripe fruit, the sun overhead a dazzling amber, I felt tiny beads of sweat begin to form on my exposed skin, I paused for a moment, around me I could hear people going about their business speaking rapidly in a language I didn't understand, a woman's laugh sounded in the distance, tearing my eyes from the glaring sun I found myself staring at what I can only describe as the most striking building I'd ever laid eyes on, the Petronas Towers, I must have blinked about a hundred times in the space of a few seconds, never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I would be standing where I stood that day.
It took me a moment to realise that I had been holding my breath in awe, with the feeling of excitement rushing through me I began to move towards the towers drawn by an invisible magnet, I remember feeling a sense of immense fascination as I moved passed groups of people some in brightly coloured tunics which I discovered later, were the traditional costume of the Malay people, I saw people dressed in a more western manner just like me, but what struck me the most was the diversity of ethnicity in the people I walked among, it couldn't have been more than a couple hundred paces and yet I felt somehow the entire world was represented, I can recall smiling at a little girl standing with an older woman, staring at me, her large almond shaped eyes twinkling with wonder at the sight of my dark skin and kinky hair. The babbling and burbling of the fountains brought my attention back to the entrance of the towers, standing right in front of the tower doors I remember feeling like an ant in comparison, the building was even more imposing from this position, I noticed the more intricate details, how the sun’s rays bounded off the steel beams, yet reflected gently off the glass panels stepping through the doors I was greeted by a much appreciated cool, looking around at the stores I almost forgot where I was, it was only once I tilted my head up looking up at storey upon storey seemingly without end only then did I realize this would be a day I would never forget.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About enigmaticme


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.