Existing Member?

A little bit of everything!

South of England

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 12 September 2014 | Views [346]

 

After a short hour train ride I arrived in pulborough, near horsham..beck picked me up and it hardly felt like 5 years had passed! We weren't even the closest of friends in Kenya but clicked instantly, she made me feel very welcome..we drove through the awesome old town to the even more beautiful village of west chiltington where beck lived with her family..pulled up and I was instantly in heaven! Paddocks, horses, beautiful old country home (from the 1600s), dogs, cats, a double bed, a room to myself and an amazingly welcoming family..met everyone, took the dogs for a walk around the farm with beck and her guy friend, then settled in for a feast! Began with homemade pimms, Pringles and nuts..then wine with an amazing pork roast dinner..then coffee with chocolate followed by more wine and cheese and crackers..bliss!! Becky's sister catelin also had her boyfriend (who she'd met at the same camp program in Kenya) over so we all sat around the table and played games and drank wine..'twas awesome, even if I was terrible at moulding things out of play dough :P
We all needed a sleep in so it was a slow start to the day..beck had the day off so we lazed around and I sorted out some photos..we finally got properly dressed at about 2pm and headed to a little festival at a vineyard called 'jazz in the vines', being a bank holiday and all..it was raining so I borrowed a jacket and pink wellies :P we picked up Becky's friend and slogged to the vineyard where the owner's friend got us in for free..it was a shame about the rain but it was still fun, sharing wine, meeting new people and listening to some jazz..we walked to beck's pub (love the small and quaint English town pubs!) at about 7pm for a snack and some more wine before heading home, yet again a little tipsy..
As Beck had to work today I spent the morning hanging out with catelin..took one of the dogs to the groomer, chilled in front of the telly..beck had a break in the afternoon and the weather slightly cleared so we went for a ride! I rode Becky's horse didi and she rode one of the ponys that were agisted at their property..didi was feeling pretty fresh and did some pig rooting and rearing when one of the horses in the paddock mucked around..what with my lack of riding and the English saddle it was a close call :P he calmed down and we had a lovely trail ride through the roads of the village..first time I'd ridden on the road like that! Very awesome to be back on a horse, even if my legs didn't agree..I then helped catelin prepare dinner and Beck headed back to work..as there was some live music at the pub that night catelin and a friend and I went there for a bit which was nice..I waited til close and went home with Bec :)
As much as I was loving my homely stay, 'twas time to move on..bec dropped me to the station on her way to work the next morning and I headed to brighton! Mum and dads old stomping ground from the 70s :)
Walked the streets and found my hostel, which was a pretty nice place (considering the price) above a pub..there were 18beds in the room..least they were clean I guess! Went exploring and fell in love with brighton, even with the dreary weather :P walked along the pier, walked around the royal pavilion (beautiful Indian inspired palace) and dome..snoozed in the park for a bit before exploring the very quirky north laine district..had a coffee and people watched a bit, walked through the open food markets, had a look in some op shops then headed back to the hostel..I was pooped so had a nap before having some tea (spooning cold baked beans out if the can with a bread roll..there were no kitchen facilities...) and venturing back out..sat on the pebbly beach for a bit but it was freezing :S so I just strolled around the pier and the streets for a bit but I was still tired so had an early night..
Got up and chatted to some of my Melbourne roommates for a bit..headed downstairs and the guy was cleaning out the lines so offered me free beer..it was so early, but free beer?! I only managed a few sips..I planned to venture to hove today, where mum and dad used to live..loved it! A beautiful old area..I think I located the general area where they lived, which felt very cool..awesome and surreal to think about their entirely different life before any of us kids existed! Walked along the beach with the cool beach huts back towards brighton..I was still feeling quite exhausted so I went back for another nap..booked my ferry ticket for the morning and found somewhere to print it off..attempted to sit on the beach again but it was drizzly and windy so I retreated to Starbucks where I read my book..I'd planned to see some of the South Downs national park but I was too tired to explore that far..had a sandwich for tea and organized my bag for the morning..chatted to a nice French guy then read my book as it was too noisy to sleep (there were a bunch of English girls getting ready for a night out and loads of young guys in other rooms being roudy)..when everyone finally left to go out, there was the noise of people doing the ice bucket challenge outside (never know something like that to be so global!) and car alarms etc..people were coming in all night from their night out so I probably got a couple of hours sleep..my alarm was set for 4.50am to get my train but I didnt need it! Sleepily organized myself and walked in the dark to the train station..a half hour walk up hill..tiring! Particularly with no sleep :| after missing the bus from Bournemouth to London I was very disciplined and was at the station in plenty of time..about an hour later I arrived in portsmouth, the port town..I got instructions and walked for ages (and it started raining heavily) but finally made it to the ferry terminal, once again in plenty of time! Winning :) so tis goodbye to the UK for now and back to France..off to meet Elle for the world equestrian games in Caen, Normandy!!! Woohoo!!

 

About emily_witenden


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.