Existing Member?

Magical Mara

Magical Mara

KENYA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [185] | Scholarship Entry

Going on Safari is more about learning to reconnect with nature and letting go of the noises in your head. Maasai Mara National Reserve in Kenya, the second largest park in the country is infamous for the great wildebeest migration. So vast is the National Reserve that it is owned by the Maasai tribe. They even take their domestic livestock to graze in the park, without batting an eyelid on seeing wild animals. The Reserve extends towards Tanzania and is linked to the Serengeti thus the Great Migration.
Lost count, on how many times I have seen the wildebeest get themselves snapped up (literally) by a crocodile in the Mara River in a documentary.
This time I decided I would head over there at the end February where there is no migration and the reserve is less crowded. The hotel rates are cheaper as well. February is one of the hottest months. Staying hydrated is a good idea.
On a late afternoon game drive it was cool and somewhat dusty. It was about 5 PM when the lighting from the sun, I somewhat discovered was at its best for photography. Witnessing numerous animals go about their evening meal (graze), I saw light footed gazelles prancing off as the car approached. Frowning buffaloes not bothered by our presence relentlessly staring at us. Ostriches that walked gracefully; flapping their wings as if they were ready for a dance recital.
Nothing quite compares to the elephant, it takes my breath away each time. It may not be the ballerina of the Savannah but it sure commands attention. I spotted a herd of elephants and noticed a smaller elephant. Not sure how old it was, the driver reckoned it was about a few months old
On moving closer it hit me, the elephant had just come into the world. It was merely a few hours old! How did I know this? Its mother’s placenta red and flag like was still hanging from her womb. Elephants have a ritual--when it is time for the cow to give birth, it separates from the herd with female relatives.
Thereafter when the newly born calf arrives, it is taken back to the herd where each member takes turns lifting their trunk to feel it. This is a sign of welcoming the new born calf to the family.
All the elephants regardless of size were having a feel of their new member. It was a surreal moment of love and made me respect elephants even more. Leaving me amazed by how they communicate and show affection. They say elephants never forget and mourn death just like humans. At that moment, I understood why.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About donnasmelange


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.