Existing Member?

London Day 3 - Brick Lane Markets

The wonders of Brick Lane

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [109] | Scholarship Entry

One sunny day in London -yes, those exist- I decided to explore Brick Lane, so I hoped on the tube and started my adventure. Little did I know that this small place in East London would turn into one of my favorite places in the entire city. As soon as you leave the tube station you find yourself in a whimsical place full of mystery and awe. It almost feels like you fell down the rabbit hole into an entirely different world. Bold and colorful graffiti are sprayed on plain gray brick buildings, giving the streets an artistic vibe. People are walking around talking, laughing and it seems as though the haste of Central London doesn't exist here. Everything seems lively and bursts with energy.
As I wandered down the streets, with everyone else who decided to visit the famous Brick Lane Markets, I found myself discovering something new and interesting around every corner. Along the way I saw a sign announcing a vintage clothing sale and decided to have a look. As soon as I set foot in the market hall I was mesmerized. I spent hours looking at all the interesting items, browsing through clothing racks and trying on various shapes of sunglasses, hats and other miscellaneous things. When I was done I walked further down the street and found myself amidst various antique stores selling anything from old type writers, cameras and record players to porcelain and jewelry. It is worth going there just to roam around those shops, hunting down a bargain.
I turned a corner and right in front of me was a market place full of little food venders, selling dishes from all over the world. People were gathering on tables, to enjoy the variety of foods, rest and sit in the sun. The air was filled with careless laughter and put me in a state of ease. After rejuvenating and eating some of the best fries I ever had I ventured of to explore Brick Lane further. Strolling without a destination in mind I ended up in another hall. This one was -against my expectation- very different from any others. It was full of local artists selling self made goods. I fell in love with these pictures, that are composed of different Polaroids layered over each other and could not resist buying one. I am so glad I did! It makes me smile every time I look at it. I never expected to love the area that much and can't even pinpoint why I do. I think it's the contrast between the old and the new, the colors against the gray of the city and all the people who seem to be enjoying every second of life.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About distant_dreamer


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.