Existing Member?

Travels

Quilatoa Loop Day 1

ECUADOR | Sunday, 19 August 2007 | Views [1033]

After an uncomfortable and sleepless night we awoke early, had a simple breakfast and walked to the bus station, heading for Zumbahua our first stop on the "Quilatoa Loop".

It was a rickety old local bus, full from the outset and overflowing before we reached the outskirts Latacunga. There were a couple of other foreigners on the bus including a friendly and jovial French-Canadian named Julie who was on the final week of a four month trip in Sth America.

It was a pleasant enough bus ride - a bumpy road but beautiful scenery.

We were fortunate in having arrived Zumbahau in the middle of major celebrations for a wedding and baptism. The town square was filled with local revelers - there were three stages with very loud bands and many food and drink stalls around the edges.

We were a little wary - as we had arrived in the early afternoon and things were already in full swing. The only budget hotel was adjacent to the town square and our room on the front balcony. We were assured that the music would be quiet by 8:00 (or 9:00 or 10:00!! ).

We met Marcus a trainee salesian priest who was very keen to practice his English and tell us a little about their order and what he was doing there. He showed us through their church and living quarters and arranged a visit to a woodwork / art exhibition by an Italian based mission training local boys. 

 

Tags: culture

 

About dean_ian


Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.