Existing Member?

Travels

Puno to Bolivia

BOLIVIA | Monday, 10 September 2007 | Views [562]

Breakfast was included in the room price at Don Julio and was the best we had had for a long time - and we felt it worth the extra money.

After a misunderstanding with a bicycle rickshaw driver that saw us dropped at the wrong place - we got a taxi out to the site of the Yavari project museum. The Yavari is an old steam ship that was used on Lake Titicaca between 1838-1845. It had been imported from England and sent across in thousands of peaces that had been carried up to the lake from the sea by donkey.

We were showed around by a very friendly and interesting captain - who also showed us some videos. It was a labour of love by the english woman who owns it and we were happy to give them a donation and purchase an expensive (but good quality)T-Shirt.

In the afternoon we took a bus headed for Copacabana across the Bolivian border. We got through the border alright - although the bus couldn't. There was a bull fight going on in the only open space the could find which unfortunately crossed and blocked the main road. Coming through immigration we noticed they were advertising something like "Travel in the footsteps of El Che" - which was amusing since they were the one's who killed him.

Outside we were standing around talking to a girl from Sydney when we were told off for standing too close to their flag - we interpreted the guards comments to be something like "show some respect" 

We stood around for a couple of hours waiting for the bull fight to finish - once we got going again it was only another 15 mins to Copacabana.

Copacabana is very tourist oriented town - we had dinner at a tourist restaurant and talked to a couple of German guys, one of whom had burned his arm after setting fire to a hostal in Arequipa.  

 

Tags: on the road

About dean_ian


Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.