Existing Member?

Travels

Colca Canyon Tour Day 1

PERU | Friday, 7 September 2007 | Views [1614]

We were in very good cheer as we set off bright and early for the three day / two night tour (trek) in the colca canyon. Since Cusco we had really joined a well trodden tourist trail, and although it lost some sense of adventure in that we were joined by many other foreigners there is a reason so many people travel to these parts , and the infrastructure for travelling is superb. It was slightly more expensive than what we had grown accostomed to in Ecuador, but still very cheap by Australian standards.

Our first day involved two pulbic busses to Cabanaconde - then via a couple of splendid lookouts a three hour walk down into the canyon where we were staying. Our guide was Pepe who was very entertaining and likeable. THere was a very interesting mix of travellers on the tour with us, couples from Israel, Netherlands and French Canadians.

The accomodation was very basic mud huts, the meals very simple squeezed into a small common room, the toilets disgusting and the showers only had enough hot water for the first few people.

There was absolutely nothing to do - so we went to bed early, tired anyway from the long days walk. However the rather unexpected cacophony of a brass marching band practicing down the road kept us awake much longer than you would have expected in this setting.

Tags: adventures

About dean_ian


Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.