Existing Member?

Flying South

The remains of the day

SOUTH AFRICA | Monday, 20 January 2014 | Views [307]

Having failed spectacularly to make the bungee at Bloukrans by way of collapsing into a gibbering wreck, what better way to pull everything back together than lunch at Marilyn’s 60’s Diner. This fabulous little place in Storms River village was the perfect American Diner, serving burger and shakes enough to content any fan of Presley, Monroe, Dean or even the Beatles. Alongside the obligatory brace of cardboard Presley’s were a couple of car boot sofas several late 50’s early 60’s BSA’s, a period pinball machine (turned off, although allegedly working) and an old Ford with a Do Not Touch on the side and an interesting sign in the front window regarding who could and could not pose on the bonnet! The food was good, the shakes were better and the music, supplied by a proper old style juke-box, was classic! Well worth a visit.

After lunch it was back to our chalet in Tsitsikama National Park. The plan was for Amy and Travis to take a hike up to the waterfall while Deb and I took the boat trip to the same destination. Amy and Travis I am happy to report completed their objective successfully, while Deb and I failed miserably. I managed to spend the afternoon on the balcony playing with my camera while Deb very graciously pretended to sleep in order that I not feel pressured into putting the camera away and heading for the boat trip.

The rest of the evening was pretty much spent lazing around the chalet drinking wine. We had another spectacular display of phosphorescence. It seems to happen every night and lasts longer than I stayed up on any given evening. I tried to get a few pics of the display and I’ve managed to get some lovely blue-green blurs on the shots which capture the colours but I struggled to find the focussing distance to get any more than blurs. We also had our most spectacularly clear night here and the display of stars was amazing. I have now seen and can identify the Southern Cross and have even managed to get a few ok’ish snaps of it which hopefully will give people an idea of how clear the sky here was and how little light pollution affects this part of the country. 

 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.