Existing Member?

picturesque scenery and tanned bums

Going abroad for the first time

FIJI | Sunday, 11 May 2014 | Views [318] | Scholarship Entry

The first time I travelled abroad was a daunting experience for me. One panic/asthma attack and 17 days late I was on my flight to Suva, Fiji to visit distant family members. They were kind enough to also buy the tickets for me and open their home to me. There were a million and one thoughts running through my head as we took off but I calmly read the touristy magazine provided and bit my tongue. Whilst stepping off the plane I was hit by the warm air that was very different to any climate that I had ever experienced before. The taxi drive to the house was amazing, there was so much to take in and by the end of the 40 minute journey I had already taken around 100 pictures. Arriving to the opening arms of family left me very reassured but there was no time to rest before I was whisked off here and there. The first stop was Viti Levu, the multi-level shopping mall right out of my wildest dreams. Being with a family of 4 females, we spent a good few hours here and shopped till we were on the edge of dropping. That night was a memory I'll never forget. We all climbed into the pool to escape the muggy weather and watched fireworks and when I looked up at the night sky glittered with stars it was like the sky was coaxing me to take a new lease on life. The next day we left for Nataleira Village in a van that we had hired. The van was a bright yellow, 11 seater death trap due to the fact it had no handbreak. After wasting an hour fixing a flat tyre with the help of some very lovely locals we finally arrived at Natalei Eco Lodge. We stayed in a bungalow type house with a flax roof and mosquito nets thankfully. I don't remember getting out of the water much that day because the weather was so hot and the beach was right on our doorstep. The next day I experienced something I will never forget, we went snorkelling amongst a local reef. It was so picturesque and beautiful that I had to pried out of the water. My trip consisted of a lot of reading, picture taking, sleeping and tanning. I recommend this trip to anyone and I am definitely going back the next chance I get.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About confessionsofatraveller


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Fiji

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.